5V5 Draft Spring 2022 Finals Preview | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
5V5 Draft Spring 2022 Finals Preview
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 24, 2022
12:17 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 64
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

5V5 Draft Spring 2022 Finals Preview

Championship Bound (Robel) vs SprayNPray (Matty) cap of an epic #5V5Draft season in what turned out to be a highly competitive league. 

How did we get here? 

Championship Bound led by GM of the session finalist Robel Ghebremichael and his trio of guards (Nick Rossetti, Xavier Abreu, and Kevin Devine) has smothered teams all season. Despite their 7-2 record, when motivated they’re pretty freaking hard to stop. 

They move into the championship game after revenging their first loss of the season against the number 4 seed and a highly competitive Tommy Points team. They escaped with a 2-point victory, but the dramatic win will only fuel the fire of this highly motivated squad. 

SprayNPray led by Matty J and # 1 overall pick Marquis Victor has arguably been the most talented team in the league all season, but their 4-5 record does not reflect that. Despite dealing with a plethora of injuries, COVID, and spotty attendance all season they still found themselves in the championship game after beating my previously undefeated RunNGun squad. 

Despite having the best player in the league, I don’t know that they’ll come into the matchup as heavy favorites, but making the championship game is an accomplishment on its own. 

What’s Next? 

Championship Bound vs SprayNPray will face off for the last time in the CCC confines, as we move to the MLK JR school next session to determine who will take home the championship crown and more importantly the CAC bragging rights. 

Starting with Championship Bound, their loft goals and hopes will be dependent upon how effective, aggressive, and motivated Robel Ghebremichael is. As we all know, when engaged there’s no one in this league that can guard Robel (6’9), but the keyword here is when engaged. If his recent play is any indication of what to expect, SprayNPray will be in for a long night. 

Moving on to my favorite trio of guards, Nick Rossetti, Xavier Abreu, and Kevin Devine. These dudes have been ridiculous all season! I’d argue, Nick Rossetti has been equally as unstoppable as Marquis Victor all season and that’s saying something. 

My man X, has put numerous leagues on notice with his well-rounded game and ability to get buckets in bunches efficiently. 

Kevin Devine has been a play-making machine! Taking on the role as the primary ball distributor. The ambidextrous guard has put on clinics while giving defenses fits. 

With a full complement of players (i.e., Motha, Sterling, Chao, Kendall, etc) I think Championship Bound matches up well against SprayNPlay and will let their defense create offense for them. 

SprayNPray has a couple of issues that scare me, let’s start with injuries. Matty J has been huge for them all season and I have no doubt he’ll play, but it’s hard to be effective in physical sport, against a physical team with bruised ribs. 

Raph I’m not sure he’s even back in the country, but I do know he’s been battling an assortment of injuries that have directly affected his ability to play to his standards. 

Last but not least, Mals! The dude is an absolute warrior playing a torn meniscus and still busting people’s asses and getting under their skin! 

These dudes have no shortage of heart and determination, but at some point, there’s just too much shit to overcome! Win or lose, they won’t make any excuses. 

Attendance! I know it’s the championship game, but summer sessions are always the worst for attendance. Will Raph and Tim be there? For entertainment value alone, I’m hoping the answer is yes! But both have missed a bunch of games this season with Raph being the biggest offender. 

Now let’s get to what I like! Obviously, any team with Marquis has a chance. I swear this dude doesn’t really assert himself fully until they go down 10-points. Matty has surrounded him with shooters and Nick Keramaris has been ridiculous in pick-n-roll situations. Nevertheless, if Marquis has to score 40 that’s a bad sign for the SprayNPray offense. 

Tim and Matty’s ability to shoot! If these two get it going early, Championship Bound can be in for a long night! I’ve seen these dudes pull up and hit from halfcourt. They do not need to venture into Robel’s No-Fly zone to be effective, which makes them dangerous. 

Last but not least, big man Nick Keramaris! He’s not going to bang with Robel in the post, but his ability to shoot and stretch can be effective in getting Robel out of the paint. Coming off of his injury he’s gotten better week after week and is shooting a whopping 33% from beyond the arc. 

Line/Final Thoughts!  

These two teams last met in week 3 and Championship Bound squeaked out a victory by 3-points despite Marquis Victor’s 40-point outing. 

My gut tells me, Championship Bound is destined to take home the crown of 5v5 Draft Champion. SprayNPray will keep it close, but the trio of guards will be the difference in a close matchup between two super talented teams! 

Nevertheless, we’re in for a fun matchup! Good luck fellas! I’ll be singing my swan song as we depart the friendly convince of CCC, so we all have something to celebrate! 

Championship Bound +5.5 over SprayNPray

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4464

HTD1223: 2866

docspauld: 2395

damruff: 2203