#B25v5North Winter 2022 Preseason Preview | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
#B25v5North Winter 2022 Preseason Preview
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
January 12, 2022
5:15 pm
Somerville
Admin
Forum Posts: 3265
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Nick Englander is going to be covering the games for the teams this season, but there are a LOT of new names and faces, so I’m here to save the day with a little preseason preview. All games are Wednesday nights at the Winter Hill School (115 Sycamore St – Somerville). For those that haven’t been there before, we park at St. Anne’s church (399 Medford St) and walk up the hill. 

Please note that masks are required at all times while in Somerville Public School buidings this season.

I was going to do a 8-1 breakdown of the teams in this league like I do for most others, but taking a look at the rosters and one thing stood out, I have NO IDEA what to expect from all these new teams. A number of veteran CACers are putting in completely new teams. You don’t see that every day. Let’s explore what I do know (no much, hardy har har).

Emerson Gagnon is branching out from the draft leagues to form his own squad and I have no idea what to expect. They need at least two legit scorers to hang with the top teams in this league, but if the name Bricklayers wasn’t already ominous enough the only ‘basketball name’ i see is Spiros Kritharas. Let’s hope he’s a hooper. Emerson made my job even harder by not following a single teammate of his on twitter. Doesn’t he know that’s where I get almost all my info??

CAC villain Remy Baudet has been around since 2014 but I believe this is his first season ever helming a team. What can we expect from the guys he knows outside of CAC that he’s bringing in? They’re going to be fiery and feisty, I can guarantee that. But what the hell does Papa Ball even mean? You’re all a bunch of dads now? Gross, no one likes dads. All they do is talk about their kids, their peloton and how much the Celtics NEED to stick with JB and JT. Wait a second…

Good Fundamental Play is just Trees and Threes by another name. Robby McKittrick was nailing 3s in bunches before getting hurt last season, so will need to keep that up in this league. He’s taken over from Ben Baron and added a couple guys. Unless they’re studs this still looks like a middle of the road team that’s capable of pulling a playoff upset only if they stack their roster with guys that didn’t play four regular season games. HEY! they just did that! Anyway…

Bennet Boucher’s last appearance in a CAC league led to one of the most insane team on team brawls I’ve seen. Players Make Plays promise not to start any fights this season but I don’t know how much I can trust that. Bennet promises a ton of good energy, team chemistry but not a lot of wins. Gary Lorden’s popcorn muscles are back which is good, but hopefully he didn’t skip leg days during the offseason, when he gets tired that shot gets flat! 

Bryce Pierce’s squad got off to a promising start in the Fall 21 season before falling apart mid way through the season. He scrapped nearly the entire roster except Alex Chin and his instant offense off the pine. Hopefully Chin gets more looks for The Somerville Basketball Team. I’m assuming one of the two new guys can put the ball in the hoop. If Mike Etheridge has to carry the load all by himself it’s going to be a long season.

Ben Hayes debuted with CAC during the half Covid Winter 20 season and suddenly has his own squad. The Cheese Boys feature the Marino brothers, Jason and Justin. For those that don’t know, they hail from the VERY successful Space & Pace franchise that finally lost their first playoff game amid a season of turmoil and chaos. It was only a matter of time before guys started going their separate ways. Valacer has already won a title outside the crew (with Gary Lorden no less) and Ben Childs is winning most improved awards while dropping 17 points a game instead of rotting away on the bench. I’m excited to see what the Marino’s can do with different guards around them. Well, I know what Justin will do, he’ll bang and pick his spots and get layups. It’s Jason who I’m excited to see ignore a whole new crop of CAC players as he drives 1 v 3 from the top of the key every other possession.

Greg Eusden seems to be bringing back the foundation from his old Corporate EverQuote teams. They won league titles in the Fall 18, Winter 19 and Fall 19 season. That seems pretty good! Gino Time seems to be the team that’s going to best match-up with Frongi’s squad and make a run at the title with them. Wait, Greg’s the only one on the roster that has played since 2020? Oh no…

Look, Bada Bing is the overwhelming favorite here. Sure their title defense in the Fall didn’t go as well as they hoped. They were finally upended by Billy, Kap and Company, but in the preseason I just can’t pick out a single team that has a shot at upending them. This team has been playing together for so long they can easily cover the glaring weaknesses that appear when Koller and Frongi are in the game. It’s legit incredible. Good luck knocking them off this season! 

Woohooo! updated signatures and avatars! Finally - edit your profile people - http://www.cacbasketball.com/d.....on/profile 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online: cquan
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4435

HTD1223: 2692

docspauld: 2388

damruff: 2203

Mazz63: 1955