BDraft Spring 2022 PLAYOFFS ROUND 1 | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
BDraft Spring 2022 PLAYOFFS ROUND 1
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 14, 2022
12:56 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 2879
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Sweet Mary and AMIR we’ve reached that time of the year. IT’S THE PLAYOFFS BABY! Where we separate the men from the Kollers of the world. Strap on your big boy pants it’s about to get rough out there. For the second year in a row we did a “pick your poison” playoff set-up, which I absolutely love and will continue to enforce until the day I die or the league does whichever comes first. TO THE MOTHERFUCKIN PLAYOFF LINES!

6:15 PM Amir Guys vs. Sam-I-Am (Ian)

Kicking off the playoffs we’ve got a matchup between the second seed my team and our choice of opponent Harry. We met in the regular season back in week six with my team pulling out a close game 70-66. In that game, Rich, Kap and Joel all had big games, while Ray and Sam led the way for my team.

Starting off with Amir Guys, unfortunately they will need a replacement player with Joel, Kap and Harry as the confirmed three. For a replacement player Harry has requested Brad Mulholland who was approved. Brad gives them some much needed size. Amir Guys chances to win rely on getting big games from Joel and Kap. Kap has been on a role of late turning in some flash back performances including 30/9/5 last week and a similar performance will likely be necessary. Joel’s health is an x-factor in this one. The last time we saw him he couldn’t finish the game after feeling something pull in his leg and he will need to be as close to 100% for Amir Guys to have a chance. Sources say he feels like he will be good to go, but a matchup with Myer isn’t exactly the ideal circumstances to find out how healthy he is. Harry also will need to contribute on offense. We saw the return of three-point Harry last week and I suspect he will be given the opportunity to prove his shooting last week was real. Post Harry could also make a return as it did in our first matchup, but either way he will likely need to score in double-digits for them to win. On defense it will be interesting to see what wrinkle Harry pulls out. Last time we played, Harry played straight man, but with only four players we might see him switch things up and play some zone.

For us, the key is going to be play our game and cleaning up on the glass. Both our losses this year came in games where we were missing a big man and got dominated on the boards. Even with those two poor games, we averaged the most combined rebounds per game while Amir Guys averaged the second fewest. With both Djordje and Ray here this week, we should be able to control that aspect of the game and if we do that will give us a good chance to win. Another key on offense will be to get Sam going. He and Kap have matched up many times and for us to win we need Sam to win their matchup. On defense, our matchups are pretty straightforward with Sam on Kap, Ray on Joel and Djordje and I on Harry and Brad. We also will have subs, which as we’ve seen is important in playoff games which tend to be played at a higher intensity. Ben gives us some much-needed shooting and is coming off a good game where he knocked two threes and Packard gives us a three and d option off the bench and the ability to guard bigs or guards.

Given the gulf in these teams in the standings during the regular season we are the favorites, but as Harry is happy to tell you, he doesn’t lose first round playoff games. This will be a good test of that that theory, but unfortunately for Harry, I’m confident that my team will pull this one out.

Sam-I-Am -7.5 over Amir Guys

7:05 PM Fly Jet Fly vs. Above the Rankings (Ian)

The second game of the week features the three seed Above the Rankings and their choice, Fly Jet Fly. Fly Jet Fly was the last of the 2-7 teams, so they seemed the obvious choice here. These teams also matched up in week seven with an understaffed Above the Rankings pulling out a win 66-52 with Fly Jet Fly only missing Jet.

Above the Rankings is on a great run right now with four straight wins, tied for the longest active win streak in the league. It all stems from Harding who was the led the league in points per game in the regular season by over seven points at 29.43. As he goes the rest of the team goes as he serves as the primary shot creator and also opens things up for their secondary players. Not all the secondary players are likely to be there this week, however with Martins and Xavier both likely out. That changes things as it means Jamil and Robel will both have to play 40 minutes and so will Ian Marlier. Marlier is a great bench option in this league but having to play the entire game in a playoff game is tough for anyone. I suspect Jamil will request Andre as a 5th player and having just a body to sub for a few minutes would be important. With Xavier and Martins out, Robel and Jamil will have to pick things up on offense. Robel has been consistent since he was added to the team, but Jamil had a mix of hot and cold shooting games. They could get enough from Harding alone to win, but if he can contribute 10-15 points then it makes things a lot easier. On defense, the matchups are interesting if they are only running with four. Robel likely takes Ini and that leaves Jamil to guard Jet/Etheridge, Ian Fraher/Etheridge and Harding Dwyer. Those aren’t ideal matchups and are where the absences will be most felt, so instead of a defensive battle Above the Rankings have played the last few weeks, we could be in for a high scoring affair.

The biggest issued that plagued Fly Jet Fly in the regular season was attendance. Dwyer, Ini, Etheridge and Jet all missed one to tbree games and understandably they struggled when they weren’t fully staffed. On paper though, if they have everyone there this is a good team. They were the only team with five players who averaged in double-digits in the regular season and they have good defenders on the team as well. The problem when they did have everyone is there is only one ball and a lot of their players work best in isolation. Dwyer, Ini, Etheridge and Jet all work best with the ball in their hand, leaving only Fraher as a spot up shooter. We shall see if they finally figure out how to work with each other on offense, but that is usually something that gets worked out during the regular season. In this specific matchup with Robel patrolling the paint for Above the Rankings Ini might have some trouble so Dwyer and Fraher will have to be knocking down shots. Jet and Etheridge are both adept at getting to the hoop and if they can do that and draw the defense in than those kick out lanes should open up. Another point of emphasis for Fly Jet Fly should be trying to get the bigs switched onto Jet/Etheridge/Dwyer on the perimeter. If they can draw those guys out it could open things up under the hoop. Even if Ini is stuck with Robel guarding him on offense, he will be able to contribute on the defensive end. If I were Etheridge, I might actually stick him on Harding. He’s the best defender on that team and someone who has the quickness and spring to chase around John for 40 minutes. If they chose to go that route, that leaves some combination of Etheridge and Fraher to take Robel, Jet on Jamil and Dwyer on Ian Marlier. With Ian having to play 40 minutes, Dwyer can play a help role and double down when Robel gets it in the post or take help on John if Ini gets beat.

There are late rumors of attendance issues for Fly Jet Fly as well, so we shall see who actually shows up and that could drastically change things. In the end though I think Harding has a big game and that is enough to lead Above the Rankings into the second round.

Above the Rankings -6.5 over Fly Jet Fly

Rare Form vs Motha Lovers 7:55p Game:

I believe this is what people would call our breather of the night, as the number 1 seed Motha Lovers take on the 8th seeded Rare Form. Right out of the gate Nate is lamenting attendance issues for this game, which is never a good sign. Cavano, is going to be out and his number 1 pick is long gone. That leaves his last 4 guys and potentially a fill-in, if one of those 4 can’t make it, not great. I expect Motha Lovers to have everyone there or at least their main guys. Should they lose this game, it will go down as the biggest upset in CAC history and they will never live it down. No pressure, lets break this game down.

It’s hard to pinpoint the biggest challenge facing Rare Form in this game, but lets start with defense. They really don’t have anyone’s an ideal match-up to guard Casey, since Howard has to guard a big in this game. That leaves Glynn, Eloi or Nate for Casey, which is not an ideal match-up if you’re looking to stop Casey from wrecking havoc offensively. That leaves Howard on Koller, which should be ok, but depending on who guards Casey, Kodra could have an exploitable match-up. If I were these guys I would triangle-1 Casey and hope for the best. Casey, struggles with zones and it would help these guys with their height issues to have everyone packing the paint. 

The next issue Rare Form is facing, is on the offensive end of the floor. The last two weeks Nate is averaging 30PPG and they haven’t been nearly enough to get his team a victory or even make the game close. He’s going to need a similar effort this week as well, which is a tough ask for Nate, even in his younger years. He’s certainly capable, but again, that might not be even close to enough. Everyone on this team that shows up needs to have themselves a game, where they contribute more than they usually do.  Howard, especially needs to have a big game, since next to Nate, he’s one of the more capable scoring options. I assume Chas will guard Nate or maybe he’ll stick Kodra on him? Either way, I expect them to be focused on Nate.

My X-Factor for this game is going to be Ryan Glynn, because I suspect that’s who Casey is going to guard. Playoff Casey will be there for sure, but spoiler alert, Playoff Casey plays the same defense as Regular Season Casey. Therefore, I see Glynn getting a lot of open looks and chances to score. If he can get hot for his team, then they’ll have a shot at making this a game. Anything can happen when games are close late and these guys will be feeling the pressure not choke. Glynn, is definitely capable of getting hot. DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?!?!?

With all that being said, you just can’t pick Rare Form to win this game or even cover. They just don’t have the guys or the firepower to compete against a top team or any team really in this league. They caught a bunch of bad breaks and are suffering from it. There isn’t one facet of the game they have an edge here, maybe except that KD loves them more? I hope this is a good game, but damn, I think Motha Lovers win by a lot. 

BREAKING NEWS: Nate the Great says number 1 pick Nick Lynch might be playing in this game, along with Cavano. This would change everything obviously! Lynch would lock down Koller and Howard OR Cavano would take Casey. Then Casey would have to guard one of them. Oh baby, OH BABY! Is this just a mind game by Nate or is this for real? The new line will be: Motha Lovers -3.5 over Rare Form. 

Motha Lovers -20.5 over Rare Form

Size Matters vs Letalien Calsone 845p Game:

We saved possibly the best game of the night for last. Civale’s Letalien Calsone, takes on Noah’s Size Matters, to close out round 1 and I’m expecting a great game. These two teams last met in week 5, with both teams only having 4. However, LC’s four were their starters and SM’s 4 included their 6th man, while we sent Dog the Bounty Hunter after Mal’s to bring him back. We’ve already given the attendance speech enough run tonight, so I’m going to ignore that and assume everyone who needs to be there will be.

After months of trying to get this guy to score points, Nestler has finally gotten back to form over the course of the season. He’s up to over 20 PPG, while also doing his usual stuff every where else and impacting the game defensively. However, the playoffs are a different thing and he’s going to need to step it up even more and prove he’s the best player on the court when his team needs him to be. No prancing around the subject, Nestler needs to be the best player on the floor, because that’s what he is. This going to be a close, anyone can win game and that’s where you need your best guys to shine. 

Speaking of a team needing their guys to shine, the wheels have fallen off the LC wagon. They looked to be heading toward the 1 seed, but now they’re stuck in 4-5 hell, with the toughest first round opponent. What has happened to my guy Masone? I had high hopes for him, but he’s been a disappointment in my eyes. What’s the deal? I’m not liking the Calvin pouty face I’m seeing either. It might be up to Civale to right the ship here and drag his team into the second round. He’s going to have the best match-up, with Nestler and Weinstein guarding the Calvin/Masone duo. That leaves Manny or Noah guarding Civale, neither are interested in chasing guys around the 3-point line all game. I suspect Civale will get the looks he wants in this game and he’ll need to capitalize. The last time they played, he scored 35 points, hitting 7 three balls.

This is just straight up a “win your match-up” type of game. Neither team has a real big match-up edge any where or a style of play that is that much different than the other team. I will mention an X-Factor though, as Cameron for LC, can guard a Nestler or Weinstein from time to time to give the starters a break and they wouldn’t lose much defensively. Cameron, is a good defender and that defense could give his team the edge. Of course, we can’t not mention veteran Mals and his 3-point capabilities. Which bench will provide enough support?

This is a coin flip game IMO and I’m not sure where I land even as I type this. I just don’t like what I’m seeing from LC, based on their attitudes and the level of performance recently. You don’t want to be the team going downhill come playoff time. SM, has the veteran team here and I think their pose will help pull them through this game. Give me Size Matters to win. 

Size Matters -2 over Letalian Calsone

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

July 14, 2022
1:19 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 132

Great previews…. I LOVE me some PLAYOFF DRAMA!!

5   -   3   -   0

July 14, 2022
1:27 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 906

Harry scrambling to put in an addendum accounting for the possible addition of Lynch and Cavano, announcing everything has changed…when he could’ve just taken a look at the scores and stats from week 4 Cool

Motha Lovers 59  Rare Form 39

Motha Lovers
Player PTS DRB ORB AST STL Blk TURN FTA FTM FTP 3P 3PM 3PP
Ben Koller 23 11 2 5 0 1 0 2 2 100% 2 1 50%
Evan Kodra 8 10 1 3 1 0 0 0 0 NA 7 2 29%
Jeff Motha 11 9 1 2 2 0 0 1 1 100% 3 0 0%
Taha Jennings 17 10 0 5 1 0 0 1 1 100% 7 4 57%
Rare Form
Chris Cavano 6 6 3 2 1 1 0 0 0 NA 5 0 0%
Eloi Cardoso 8 4 2 1 0 0 0 3 2 67% 4 0 0%
Nate Mendes 9 4 1 1 1 0 0 2 2 100% 4 1 25%
Nick Lynch 11 14 2 3 4 4 0 2 2 100% 9 1 11%
Rondell Howard 5 4 0 0 2 2 0 2 0 0% 7 1 14%
Ryan Glynn 0 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 NA 2 0 0%
July 14, 2022
1:36 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 114

Good stuff, guys. Should be a fun one! 

July 14, 2022
2:00 pm
Members

bkoller297 said
Harry scrambling to put in an addendum accounting for the possible addition of Lynch and Cavano, announcing everything has changed…when he could’ve just taken a look at the scores and stats from week 4 Cool

Motha Lovers 59  Rare Form 39

Motha Lovers
Ben Koller 23 11 2 5 0 1 0 2 2 100% 2 1 50%
Evan Kodra 8 10 1 3 1 0 0 0 0 NA 7 2 29%
Jeff Motha 11 9 1 2 2 0 0 1 1 100% 3 0 0%
Taha Jennings 17 10 0 5 1 0 0 1 1 100% 7 4 57%

Rare Form
Chris Cavano 6 6 3 2 1 1 0 0 0 NA 5 0 0%
Eloi Cardoso 8 4 2 1 0 0 0 3 2 67% 4 0 0%
Nate Mendes 9 4 1 1 1 0 0 2 2 100% 4 1 25%
Nick Lynch 11 14 2 3 4 4 0 2 2 100% 9 1 11%
Rondell Howard 5 4 0 0 2 2 0 2 0 0% 7 1 14%
Ryan Glynn 0 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 NA 2 0 0%

No one cares about week 4. 

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

July 18, 2022
3:12 pm
Members

Everyone loves Raymond

We started the playoffs with a match-up of coverage guys, so I bet you can guess what that meant. We had no one to cover this game, luckily Jamil showed up early and he took care of it. Before I get into the game, props to Jamil for being there and scoring another game in another league, while covering Tuesdays. He looks like vintage Harry out there, carrying every single league with stats and coverage as Tibbs goes, “well uh you get nothing, but thanks.” What a guy! I love Jamil and so should you. Anyways, with Rich having off the court issues, other Maz being dead and AAAAAAAAAMIR at a wedding (where I wasn’t invited as a plus-1!!!!!!!!), Bmul was allowed to fill in. As far as fill-ins go, that’s pretty awesome. Sam-I-am had everyone, TO THE ACTION!

The strategy for my team was simple as it gets, feed post Harry and let him work. That’s exactly what we did, right off the bat, with me spinning off Ian in the post and forcing help, then hitting Joel for the easiest shot he’d take all game for 2. I followed that up with a three ball and a post bucket off Ian. The plan seemed to be working pretty well after I hit Brad for an And-1, but that was seemingly the extent for our offense in the first half. 

The offense on the other end of the floor, belonged to Raymond Myer, who spent 40 minutes making Joel his bitch. Yah, I said! Myer, kept assaulting the cup every possession and getting himself or his teammates good looks off second chance opportunities. It’s a pain in the ass to keep Myer off the board and have to worry about Djordje crashing in as well. It takes an entire team effort and doing it with the same 4 guys over 40 minutes is a whole lot to ask. That’s why Sam-I-am was able to pull away in the first half by a couple of possessions. Myer, also hit all his free throws, even the ones he committed a free throw violation on. 

Sam-I-am went into the half leading 34-23, which might as well have been 20 points, based on the pace and scoring of this game. Myer’s lead his team with 14 at the half and I led my team with 8. BACK TO THE ACTION!

Things didn’t change much in the second half. We tried to get Joel more involved, but again Myer was making him his bitch with a lot of physical play aka clutching/grabbing/holding Joel for 40 minutes. We were all starting to get a bit tired as well, the physical nature of the game and grinding out possessions was tough. We had a little success with post Harry, even Myer to demand that Djordje be switched on to me and then he got some of Post Harry too. However, we just couldn’t score enough, an 8-point game from Joel just wasn’t going to get it done.

Sam-I-am wasn’t that much better in the second half offensively either, except for Myer, who continued to enforce his will upon Joel and the rest of us. We just didn’t have enough ammo to hang with him. Sometimes all you need is the best player on the floor. Also, credit to Sam-I-am’s ball movement. They do a great job of forcing multiple defensive rotations and get team’s off balance. 

Sam-I-am closed things out 60-47 Final

Grades

Joel F: He got owned and that’s ultimately why we lost. Joel can be good as anyone, it’s his mindset that separates him from a guy like Myer.

Kap B-: I thought Kap was fine, could have done more, but followed the game plan and did a good job on Pollock.

Harry F: My blunder in the draft cost us a championship season.

BMul A+: Double-double for a fill-in gets an A+.

Sam-I-am

Cundall D: I just noticed it in the stat sheet, but Ian did a whole lot of nothing this game. 

Pollock F+: 0 threes attempted, that gets you an “F+” Pollock.

Djordje B-: Djordje was pretty good, but needs to work on his defensive IQ in when to help and when not to know.

Packard C+: Three assists gets you the plus. 

Raymond A++++++++: Dominated his match-up, the game and won it by himself.

Silva C+: Hit the only three his team had, so that gets a plus. 

July 18, 2022
4:17 pm
Members

Poor Joel got bodied in that writeup

5   -   3   -   0

July 19, 2022
11:43 am
Members

Midnight Madness

In my preview for this game, I called it the best game of the night and boy was I right. Props to me! Size Matters, missing Noah, took on Civale’s Letalien Calsone and they had everyone available. TO THE ACTION!

This game was really free flowing in the first half, with everyone making everything and both teams running up and down the court getting shots up. Size Matter, held the lead for the entire first half with their big 3 carrying the load, though Mals did manage 5 first half points, including a three ball. Weinstein, had 17 first half points, who was going back and forth with Masone, who had 17 first half points of his own. Manny and Nestler combined for 25 first half points themselves. Nestler, was working on a strong triple double line, needing only 2 assists in the second half to accomplish this feat. 

On the other side of the ball, LC was pretty balanced, EXCEPT for their captain Civale, was laying a giant turd at the worst possible time for the season. Civale, only had 3 first half points, which is pretty awful for the new Civale, we’ve been seeing this season. He’s going to be spending a long time thinking about this game and what could have been. However, his team was able to hang around, Calvin had 10 first half points and Hanks added 6. It seemed like they were way out of this game, but the score was within reach.

Size Matters went into the half up 47-40. KD, wasn’t calling much, which led to a few shut-ups to both teams. Things were looking bleak for LC, if Civale wasn’t going to show up. Would he? BACK TO THE ACTION!

Things started to shift almost right away in the second half, with LC coming out strong, Civale awoke from his coma and hit three second half 3s. SM, started to have some defensive miscommunication when Manny hit the bench and Civale took full advantage. The hot pace also died down for both teams in the second half as everyone started to get tired. SM, especially started to slow down a lot and LC went on a big run, taking control of this game. Calvin, Cameron and Hanks combined for 17 second half points. 

Size Matter really struggled in the second half to generate points. Weinstein and Masone mirrored each other again, this time in scoring very little in the second half. Neither guy had a field goal until the buzzer sounded to end the second half. With Weinstein sidelined, so went Nestler’s assist total, because Mals or Andrew weren’t able to score in the second half. Nestler, threw a bunch of questionable passes to Andrew, who never had a chance to catch them, for a variety of reasons….Manny, was the only consistent scorer for his squad in the second half, leading everyone with 15 second half points. He was communicating great on defense, which I loved to see. 

I delivered the play-by-play as it happened on discord, so I’ll just go through the highlights here:

Both teams couldn’t decide which one wanted to blow this game, so they took turns. Calvin, committed a horrible foul on Nestler or Frank during a 1-1 miss by Cameron at the line. Nestler, went to the line for 1-1, but missed it. Manny, got the board and they called timeout. SM, drew up a horrible play and it missed. Masone went to the line and hit both. SM, had no timeouts. Side not there, I would have missed the second one on purpose. No way, someone catches the board and gets up even a good shot in 3.9 seconds there. Anyways……..Masone made both, Mals inbounded to Nestler and LC left the only guy open for 3 that they shouldn’t have, in Weinstein and Mike “Super dick” Weinstein hit his first field goal of the half to tie the game at the buzzer. Off to OT!

Weinstein went to the line and got his team the lead. Masone turn it over off a horrible pass to someone? SM, couldn’t convert and Calvin got a board, then Nestler tried to take his head off. Calvin hit both, but Weinstein came back and converted a 2. LC, threw up a brick and SM got the board. HOWEVER, Manny was talking to KD and someone (I think Weinstein) threw him the ball and it sailed out of bounds. Then Civale, threw up the Carlton Banks hero 3 and it landed in Mal’s lap, who hit Manny for the cherry pick 2. That’s all she wrote. 

Grades

Nestler A-: Nestler had some dubious decisions out there, but he was aggressive and had a triple-dub, so can’t hate too much. 

Manny A+: Manny, was the teams most consistent scorer and his defense on Civale was awesome. 

Weinstein A+: Saved the day, so I can’t go lower than A+. I will say that Manny pass almost ruined the day though.

Mals B-: Strong effort from Mals, who isn’t use to playing these kind of minutes. 

Andrew C+: He did what he could out there, but I would like to see one bucket.

LC

Hanks B-: Tough night from deep for Hanks, but he did have a double-double.

Civale F: The Carlton Banks hero 3 gets you the F every time. Also, since he’s captain, gets some blame for the Weinstein 3.

Calvin B: I thought Calvin was good, but not great. Him and Nestler duked it out, pretty evenly. I was left wanting more though. 

Tyler C+: He was guarding Weinstein all game, where was he on the game winner??!?!? He played well outside of that and his weird OT pass to no one.

Cameron B-: He was solid, but needs to spend the off-season working on free throws.

Pan A: He was a good teammate all game. 

July 19, 2022
5:42 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 100

Ian Marlier stars, with some help from Harding and Robel, in massive win for Above the Rankings

The second game of the night saw Above the Rankings taking on Fly Jet Fly. Coming in it was known Above the rankings were missing Xavier and Raphael. I thought this would set us up for an intriguing game as Fly Jet Fly was supposed to be fully staffed. Unfortunately, on the day of the game the top two picks for Fly Jet Fly revealed they were unable to make it leaving us a good old 4v4 battle.

Even though they were missing their top two picks I was hopeful Fly Jet Fly could keep it close for a bit. Unfortunately, any hope for a competitive game was erased immediately as Harding and Robel were on fire at the start as Above the Rankings jumped out to a 22-6 lead. Fly Jet Fly got going some on offense after that with Jet, Etheridge and Fraher all shooting well, but unfortunately their defense was very bad and ABR could do whatever they wanted. Robel was taking advantage of his size to great effect and showing a soft touch around the rim and Harding was cooking from mid-range. Jet put his best effort to bring it back in the first half with several impressive moves off the dribble cooking Harding, but Robel was too much and culminated his first half performance with a loud dunk. Above the Rankings found themselves up 45-26 at halftime with Harding leading the way with 22 points and Robel chipping in 12. Jet led the way for Fly Jet Fly with 14, while Etheridge and Fraher had six each.

The second half was largely an exhibition game, but it was dominated by one person, Ian Marlier. Ian had a quiet first half with only three points, but in the second half he showed off a wide array of moves off the dribble and his range. He had 11 second half points, giving him 14 for the game to go along with 9 rebounds and four assists. Robel also continued to eat and added another loud dunk, while for Fly Jet Fly, Jet and Fraher took advantage of the extra space they were afforded. Jet cooked Harding again in a play Harry exclaimed could have broken his ankle with how vicious the cross over was. Fraher was his usual self from mid-range knocking down shot after shot, but their lack of size was too much and KD called the game with Above the Ranking up 89-57.

Above the Rankings:

Harding A: Dominated on offense all while not looking like he left first gear.

Robel A: Best game I’ve seen from Robel this year. 24/12 with two monster dunks and dominated the paint all day.

Ian A+: Awesome game from Ian who was all over the place on both ends and always seemed to make the right play.

Jamil B: Solid first half, but didn’t have to do much in the second half and took on a more initiating role.

Fly Jet Fly

Jet A: 28/4/5 and left it all out there

Fraher B: Shot the ball well, but understandably struggled against Robel in the post.

Etheridge C+: Solid all-around game, but could have used some more scoring given who was out.

Kenny C: Knocked down one three, but range was off from deep for the majority of the game.

July 20, 2022
10:23 am
Members
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jet put his best effort …. with several impressive moves off the dribble cooking Harding

Fake news…

Jet cooked Harding again in a play Harry exclaimed could have broken his ankle with how vicious the cross over was.

FAKE NEWS!

5   -   3   -   0

July 20, 2022
10:59 am
Members
Forum Posts: 114
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

iancundall said
Ian Marlier stars, with some help from Harding and Robel, in massive win for Above the Rankings

… 

Printing this write-up out, framing it, and hanging it on my wall. My momma is so proud!

July 20, 2022
12:00 pm
Members
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

1 seed survives close call

The number 1 seed Motha Lovers choose Rare Form as their number 1 choice to play in round 1. An obvious choice (for a cowardly team) as Rare Form has spent the season in attendance and injury hell. This week would be no different as Cavano was out for them and they went to battle with 4. Motha Lovers were only missing their namesake. TO THE ACTION!

Rare Form came out hot to start the game, with a 7-0 run that caught their opponents off guard. Everyone for Rare Form contributed with one first half three a piece, three guys would even hit two apiece from deep, which was huge. Rare Form, has struggled all season from deep and every where else, so that was a welcomed site for the dogs. Nate the great continued with his hot shooting, scoring 13 first half points. This time he actually got some help from Rondell, who Koller was guarding, naturally this led to Rondell’s best game of the season by far. A mistake by the captain not to have the superior defending Kodra on Rondell, instead of Glynn or Eloi. 

However, Koller did produce on the offensive end of the floor. Koller’s a match-up scorer, so when he has a good one, he’s capable of putting up points. He had 20 first half points to lead the team. Casey, had 15 first half points himself and was well on his way to a triple-double night. Nate was guarding Casey, which isn’t a great match-up for Nate the great. Motha Lovers, took full advantage of the match-ups they were given in this game. I was hoping Rare Form would try something different, but they stuck with a straight up man. 

After the initial Rare Form flurry, Motha Lovers seized control of the first half, ending it up 39-36. Still a close game, but it felt like Rare Form had their run and Motha Lovers would start to pull away. BACK TO THE ACTION!

Motha Lovers, made a good decision to start the second half, switching Kodra on to Howard and moving Koller to Eloi. Kodra, is a much better perimeter defender. This allowed Motha Lovers to start extending the lead a little bit as Casey and Koller continued to wreck havoc on the Rare Form defense. Casey, would complete the triple double in the second half, racing down the floor before anyone on Rare Form could stop him after every miss. Chas and Taha were struggling a bit though, but it didn’t seem matter.

HOWEVER, Rare Form was going to go down swinging in this game. Each member of the team would again, hit one three in the half. Howard and Nate would hit two a piece. Rare Form, was finally getting everyone involved scoring wise and connecting from deep. Some of this was poor defense, but that didn’t stop them from missing before. Hell of an effort by everyone to bring up their game. Howard, especially had some crazy And-1s, when Kodra went to the bench to get a breather. Glynn, was big in the second half too, scoring 8 points. 

I thought this game was over, but Rare Form was able to get within 4-5 points in the latter stages of the game. It was Kodra though, who put out any potential fires, hitting a huge 3 that put the lead back to 5 and then had a nice take to the hole, getting the lead back to 7. That spelled the end for Rare Form, who did what they could to compete as short-handed as they were.

Grades

Rare Form B: I’m going to team grade this, because they all played well and they all competed hard. I’d go with an “A”, but someone should have suggested trying something on defense other than letting Casey or Koller go 1-on-1 all game.

Motha Lovers

Casey A+: Won his team the game, got a triple double, but didn’t get the win he wanted. WHOMP! WHOMP!

Koller B+: Great scoring effort, went 6 for 6 from the line, but got abused on defense. I wish I knew how to calculate defensive ratings.

Kodra A: Saved the day for his team when they needed him to, clutch shots. 

Chas C: Felt like he should have done a lot more considering he had a good match-up. 

Taha C+: Had three electric assist, but couldn’t convert a bucket.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4464

HTD1223: 2879

docspauld: 2396

damruff: 2203

Mazz63: 1964