BDraft Spring 2022 PLAYOFFS ROUND 2 Write-ups | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
BDraft Spring 2022 PLAYOFFS ROUND 2 Write-ups
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 26, 2022
12:38 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 2866
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Chas’s wife guides team to the ship

We were hit with an unexpected surprise pre-game, when Chas’s wife showed up to the game. This was the first time I had ever seen her come to a Chas game or any game. She quickly explained the last time she came to a game Chas abandoned her at the gym after a loss. That sounds exactly like our Chas to me! Both teams had everyone available for this one, except we had no ref. Naturally, Tibbs screwed up and told him the wrong time. So, after Chas’s team placed a high amount of reluctance in letting me ref (cowards!), Nestler was given the assignment. TO THE ACTION! 

The first half was very free flowing, as everyone is usually on their best behavior when their fellow players are reffing games. Nesler, did a fair job, but he didn’t call all the fouls he usually sees in his games though. The physical nature of the game started to pick up though and both teams were getting irritated enough to want a real ref. Unfortunately, for them they would get the ref we’ve gotten on Wednesdays. Much to young Casey Tenney’s dismay. 

Motha Lovers jumped out ahead in the first half, thanks to some balanced contributions from almost everyone on the team. The secondary trio of Motha-Chas-Kodra combined for 22 first half points. That’s a big number a half from Motha Lovers secondary scorers. The kind of effort you usually see from Sam-I-am’s secondary guys. It goes without saying, but I will, how much secondary points matter in these playoff games. The better players are going to get theirs, so you better get some help from others too, just ask the Celtics. 

On the other side of the court, Sam-I-am, was relying pretty heavily on its top guys to get them buckets. Myer and Pollock combined for 23 first half points, but their other two starters only had 6 (all for Djordje). Ian, looked like he got scratched pretty bad by someone, later to be revealed as Motha at one point. He finally noticed we had some bandages and tape on the scorers table to fix himself up. It wouldn’t lead to much help though on the court.

Motha Lovers went into the half up 40-34. The game was pretty physical, so I was surprised to seeing so much scoring in the first half. It was anyone’s game, but it was clear Sam-I-am was struggling to get its main guys help. BACK TO THE ACTION!

To the surprise of no one, Sam-I-am threw out the usual pass movement offense for the Myer “go score” offense. Myer, had 11 second half points and two assists, so I guess it kind of worked??? Motha Lovers, did a great job of clogging the paint with big people though and forcing Myer to score over bodies. This opened things up a bit for Djordje, who had nice cuts for buckets in the second half. Pollock reverted back to his disappointing self though and started to just try and feed Myer instead of scoring or shooting 3s which is exactly what the game was calling for from him.

The lead for Motha Lovers stayed at the 4-6 mark for pretty much the entire second half. Every bucket from either team got an answer from the other one. The physicality took another step up as well, with Sam-I-am racking up the fouls. Casey and Koller were the only consistent offense for Motha Lovers. They hit 6 of the 8 field goals made by team in the second half. I was hoping Kodra would be a little more aggressive in scoring, but it was obviously the stars time to shine both ways. 

Late game highlights:

I gave the play-by-play via discord, so lets go over the highlights. Sam-I-am had a bunch of chances to tie this game. Their best chance was after a Djordje AND-1 without the 1, as he missed the free throw. Casey and Koller would take all their team’s free throws down the stretch and proceed to try and choke the game away. Lucky, for them, they had a couple back-tap rebounds by Motha and company down low to secure some extra chances. Casey, was especially bad from the line, missing 4 free throws in a row at one point. 

Sam-I-am’s offense just couldn’t convert toward the end. They refused to shoot from deep and simply relying on driving to the lane filled with large bodies. Their last chance was Pollock heave from deep that had no chance. Bad execution from them down the stretch, going away from ball movement and refusing to shoot 3s (Pollock).  64-62 Final Motha Lovers

Grades

Myer B+: Tough to grade Myer on this one. He did his usual stuff and played good defense on Casey, but I left feeling he could have done more.

Pollock B-: Pollock numbers are good for a game like this, but this is one of those games I tell him about. He needs to shoot more 3s in a game where everyone, literally everyone is packed in the paint. 

Djordje A-: What more can you really ask for from him? Maybe to hit that free throw to tie the game? 

Ian C: Ian gets a break, because he hurt himself. They needed his regular season contributions in this one.

Silva C+: Did hit a three, but they needed more from him too and he’s capable. The lack of ball movement in the second half hurt him.

Packard B-: Same story as Silva, but his defense was good too. 

Motha Lovers

Casey B+: Very good numbers in a game like this, but his free throwing shooting nearly sunk the team. You can’t miss four in a row like that, Nick Anderson.

Koller B: Gotta give credit for his battling with Myer down low, but his free throwing sucked too and he only grabbed 4 boards on the game. WOOF!

Kodra B-: Defense was good and always is, BUT I would have liked to see him get the ball on offense more. He’s good in the post on mismatches and he had some this game.

Motha A+: This is the best you’ll get from him in a big game like this, so drink it in.

Chas B-: Good first half, but got scared in the second half to shoot. Wouldn’t give his wife a made bucket with the phone camera on. TRASH!

Taha C-: Someone forgot to pay the electric bill, it was all darkness. 

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

July 26, 2022
4:06 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 2866
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

ATR continues to ride hot streak

The hottest team in the league stormed into this semi-final game after shooting down the Jet a week before. Raphael, was still out for them though and SM, had everyone, but their 6th man. TO THE ACTION!

SM opened up hot out of the gate, just as they did a week ago. Their big 3, of Manny-Nestler-Weinstein, combined for 31 points, which happened to be all, but 4 of their team’s first half points. They were all doing a good job of getting theirs, especially Manny who was winning the big man battle in the first half. Manny, has quick feet that can beat slower defenders, like Robel to the cup. SM, is definitely a first half team and you can’t argue with getting out in front during playoff time.

ATR took SM’s best punch early, but hung in there. Captain Jamil, came out strong, hitting a couple of 3s and Abreu added two more of his own in the first half. I mentioned in the preview that Abreu, would be a big X-factor in this game and boy was he. He had 15 first half points, which was half of the team total for ATR in the first half. Harding, got off to a slow start with Nestler on him, only scoring 7 first half points, so Abreu kept his squad within distance. There was funny moment where Harding had to call a timeout to scold his team for not getting back on defense. Tsk tsk gentleman. 

At the half, it was 35-30 SM. Both teams went on a couple different runs, including a stretch where ATR regained the lead. Then SM came back and took the lead into the half. Abreu, led all teams in scoring, a great sign for ATR. BACK TO THE ACTION!

Harding, started to come alive in the second half. Thanks to some good screening and horrible PnR defense by SM. Harding, didn’t make the initials shots off open looks, but started to heat up in the second half. Only Frank Mals, on SM seemed to be concerned about this. Frank, kept saying “we can’t give them those looks” and naturally, Frank turned out to be right. SM, did a terrible job of closing on Harding and this freed him up get going. He had 26 second half points. SM, looked like they were really running out of gas. 

In what seemed like a theme lately, Weinstein, has just been dying in the second half of games. Maybe, it’s because they never take him out or other team’s increased efforts on him, but he didn’t score in the second half of this game. Weinstein, picked the worst game to disappear late. Nestler, wasn’t any better in the second half, scoring 1 second half points. The final score shouldn’t be a surprise when you see those two guys with 1 second half point. Nestler, did have an excuse though, even if he tried pre-game to downplay it. Noah and Manny did hit two 3s apiece. 

Once Harding and company got going in the second half, this game was done. SM, can’t win in a game where their two best players can’t score in the second half. SM, made the score look a little better when it was over. I gave some play-by-play on the discord, but there was no excitement at the end. 70-59 Final ATR

Grades

Harding A+: He started out slow, but found it late and did a great job defensively on Nestler. 

Abreu A: Another good game for Abreu, providing this team another scorer. He’ll need another good day next week too.

Robel B: Robel finished the game with 7 points, 19 boards, 1 steals and 4 blocks. Hell of an effort on the boards, but the soft touch from last week left him.

Jamil B+: Jamil was really good from deep. He did pick up four fouls pretty early though, but it didn’t matter.

Marlier C: After a big game from Ian, we get this? Where’s super marlier at?

SM

Nestler C+: A one point second half just isn’t going to cut it, but he was hurt. He wasn’t bad else where though, 4 assists from a triple-dub.

Manny B+: I thought Manny played great, but faded a bit in the second half too. 

Weinstein D: Can’t go scoreless for a second half in a playoff game. Just can’t do it.

Noah B: Led the team in scoring in the second half, after a slow first half. 

Mals B-: Filled up the box score nicely, just couldn’t hit from deep.

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4464

HTD1223: 2866

docspauld: 2395

damruff: 2203

Mazz63: 1964