BDraft winter 2022 Preview and Week 1 lines | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
BDraft winter 2022 Preview and Week 1 lines
Topic Rating: +2 Topic Rating: +2 (2 votes) 
January 18, 2022
1:31 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 2817
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN BABY! Everyone, welcome back to B-Draft, it’s been a long two years since that French goof Rudy Gobert, ruined all our lives by having basketball cancelled around the globe. I’ve always knew he sucked, but now the rest of the world knew it too! A few announcements before we get right into the thick of things.

First of all, yes we all have to wear masks this season. Wear them when you come in, then when we’re in the game you can pull them down, so it isn’t covering your mouth. Don’t ruin it for everyone else by not wearing them. I’m the last person who wants to wear them, but this is the stupid world Rudy Gobert created for us.

Secondly, we have a new format in the house. Since, B-Draft is a special league, it should have a special format. Pitched by yours truly, our new playoff format goes like this: The top seeds, based on seeding, will get to pick their first round opponent as long as it isn’t a top four seed. Same goes for the second round.  This should add a hell of a lot more excitement to the regular season, trying to get the proper seeding or in my case dropping below to see how many cowards we got in here.

Now, that that’s out of the way, we can get to the real business, rankings! Kap, started the season off by putting up some of his own, naturally they sucked, so Ian put up some better ones. Great start to the season by my partner. You can check out his recap on the boards, right below this thread. Now, it’s time for my rankings, the only rankings that matter.

The Official 2022 Winter B-Draft Pre-season Rankings:

1. Ian

That’s right, can’t you feel the love between board-cast partners? I’m sticking this team right here to open the season. Why? Because I don’t know who the hell these three rookies are. They could be good. They could be great or they could be chemistry killers or who don’t know how to play with each other. There’s no real way to tell that or answer any questions I might have, so they’re starting here to open the season.

I haven’t seen much of Armstrong. I do know he played with Kap and Mazz on a team last season, so God Bless him. He’s filled in against some of my teams on Wednesdays, but that was just a fill-in role and I assume he plays different as the lead dog. His numbers certainly add up as a very good player, so I feel save saying he’ll do his part.

I love Ian and Johnson as complimentary players. Both of them can hit a three and play good enough defense on what should 3rd or fourth options on the other teams. If the rookies can do their part as main guys, then Ian and Johnson will fill in very nicely as guys off the bench. I just don’t know what the rookies are going to bring and until I do, this team is starting right here.

1. Sheffield

The first thing you need to know about this team is that Harding, is not MVP material. Now that we got that of the way, let’s talk about this team. The first question and the last question every week is who’s going to be the 4th starter on this team? Is it going to be Sheff or the rookie big man we know nothing about? Speaking of the rookie big, he’s going to be making or breaking this team. Since his bio said he was in the army, I’m going to assume he’s in great shape, which is always a plus in these leagues. If he’s able to dominate the boards and hold down the fort in the post, this team could be in store for a special season, but if he can’t they’ll be in trouble.

I do like the Calvin-Harding-Lagno trio in theory, because the floor should be very well spread out for the 3 of them, especially now that we’re playing 4s again. The question I have is the ball movement, who’s the PG on this team? Who’s going to make sure the ball moves on offense, so everyone is getting theirs? You would think Sheff could do that, but I don’t think he’s going to start himself.

Despite the low rankings, I don’t see this as a team that other teams will enjoy playing. They’re going to be a tough guard with their main guys on the floor. I think Calvin takes a big step up from what he was last season, probably averages between 18-20 PPG and Harding stays the same or maybe even slightly higher. However, I have major concerns about the defense and rebounding. The rookie is going to have to be the major solution to those problems.

1. Action Jackson

Despite their low ranking, I actually like this team. This is a veteran squad, with a bunch of guys who know what they’re doing out there. Nestler, via angry texts, is so ready for this season to start that he threatened to rip my heart out and eat it raw if I mock drafted him out of the first round again. Nestler, also claimed to be in a lot better shape, which is also a plus. Billy (despite his weird claims in the Ian thread) is a smart player, who knows how to run the show and Leblanc is one of the better point guards in the league. Noah, is also a pretty smart veteran out there, who generally plays within himself. I’ve never seen Albere play, but Glynn is a solid bench guy as well.

The problem I see with this team, is where do they go during clutch time. Who’s getting the ball when it’s time to win the game late or if they’ve been struggling to score or have a cold stretch? Nestler, has never struck me as the kind of player, you give the ball and say “you score now”. Leblanc, use to be that kind of player, but he hasn’t been when he was playing 5v5 in the Tuesday league. Leblanc, has let the other guys drive the bus, as he dictated the action around him. I assume Billy, will want himself to run the show at point, which will be a debatable decision, because Leblanc is better. I can see Leblanc getting lost for sections of the game on offense without the proper touches.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this team made a huge run or ended the season as a top 3 team, but I have a big questions about their ability to win big games when they matter. Who’s the alpha at point guard? Who’s the alpha when it comes to winning time on offense. Will Nestler take that big offensive step?

1. SEX

The only thing I love more than this team, is their team name. This is the purest CAC team on the entire board and I have to at least give them the 5th ranking on my board. What’s not to love between the Bully, Roberts, Jet, MacDonald, Calderan and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIR? The Bully-MacDonald combo were a huge thing in Franchise B, winning a title, going to multiple championships and winning a whole of games. You have to give them the respect they deserve and the Jet/Roberts combo is quite similar to the Coburn/Walker combo that teamed up with them in Franchise B. They have the ability to both fast break and beat you up in the post.

My biggest questions with this team lie on the defensive end of the court. They really don’t have a wing defender on this team, outside of MacDonald. Bully and Roberts are good defenders, but you really don’t want them chasing athletic wings or shooters are all over the court for 40 minutes. The Jet can fly, but he’s undersized and Calderan isn’t that much bigger or the man you’d want guarding the other team’s 2nd or 3rd best scoring options. That could be a real issue against teams with multiple wing options for scoring, like Sheffield or Cavano’s team for example.

One other possible issue I could see with this team is floor spacing. Jet and MacDonald have similar playing styles. Both of them like to penetrate, drive right and use their right to score. Roberts, will also be stationed around the post, so I could see there being a lot of traffic inside. This team could see a lot of zones to play against, with Bully being the main jump shooting threat. They’ll be a tough out every game, but I can’t see them getting past the second round in this league.

1. Civale

Let’s get this out right off the bat, Hof is an electric 4v4 player, who will probably average in the 30s in this league, but I DON’T BUY THE HYPE. I’m going to skip the part where we talk about the good stuff, because everyone has already covered it.

Here’s the problems with this team and we’ll start where everyone loves them, on offense. Hof is going to do his thing no matter what and it’s probably going to be good for the team. HOWEVER, these are the kinds of teams Joel gets lost on offensively. I’m not expecting Joel to have a big offensive season here, because I don’t see a lot of ball movement and Joel needs ball movement to be at this best. Who’s going to be doing the passing on this team? I can see a lot of games where I look down at the first half and see Joel with 2 points on probably 1 shot. Civale and Djordje also rely on others to get them the ball, so there’s going to be a lot of relying on good Hof to show up and get his teammates involved.

The bigger problem for this team is on the defensive end, where Joel is going to have to carry a monster sized load. He’s going to have to guard the best offensive player, probably for the entire game. Who else on this team would you want covering a Tenney/Swecker type player on this team? Then there’s the matter of who the second best defender on this team even is? Djordje or DTD? This team is going to STRUGGLE on defense and that’s even if Joel can be DPOY. I don’t like to doubt Hof in 4v4 though, so I’ll stick them 4th.

1. ME

What? Did you think I was going to listen to the disrespect and place my team lower than 3rd? You must have all forgotten that the Harry/Swecker duo (In that order) is unbeatable in BDraft history. So, how dare you and take a minute of silence to think about what you’ve done……OK, now let’s talk about this team. Obviously, I love the Vladi/Swecker duo top, they have played together in 5v5 before, so I don’t see any issues there. Both of them are going to get plenty of time with the ball in each of their hands, so sharing isn’t to be hard. They both know how to move the ball and get others involved. Speaking of others, I think this is the season where young Zach Webert takes a step in becoming a premiere defender. People are sleeping on this kid’s defense and now he has the best defensive mind in this league coaching him up. Also, I can see Motha feasting on people from the other team’s benches. He’s similar to McGirr, who would have gotten drafted a lot earlier.

Now the big issue for this team, starts with its captain. Where are the points going to come from outside of Swecker/Vladi? I think Motha, Webert and Mackay, will be able to do their part. The big question is myself, who hasn’t been able to score in a while. Am I still capable of hitting my elbow jumper? Can I still go in the post and hit my hook? All good questions, that we’ll have to wait and see on.

I’ve played in BDraft for about 12 seasons now? And I’ve only lost in the first round once, so I’d say my track record is pretty good getting my teams into title contention. I don’t see this year being any different. Our defense will be fine, the issue will be on the offensive end. People forget we’re back to 4v4, so having the two best players on the court for a lot of the time is worth a whole hell of a lot. See you in the second round.

1. Kap

I’ll stick with Ian’s ranking of having this team here. Kap, despite being the worst fill-in player in CAC history, is actually a pretty good GM. He did a good job here of filling the team with players, who are going to know their role every game. I love pairing Casey with a point guard, so Casey can just focus on doing what he does well, score. It also keeps him grounded a bit and allows Kap to run offense through PnR with Walker or Dodakian, who is good role player and fits well as the 3rd/4th option on this team.

To echo what Ian said, size could be a problem for this team. Walker, is good post defender, but I could see him getting into foul trouble for games and then things get dicer for this team from there. Walker, also tends to miss games too and I’d go as far as to say he’s probably the biggest key to their success this season on both ends of the floor. Walker, is a great screener. He’s good on the boards on both ends of the floor and he’s a physical presence. You have to wonder if he’s the same player after two seasons off though.

Like I said, I feel like Walker’s success will lead to team success here. Although, I also wonder who’s going to be the secondary scorer after Casey. I’m not sure Kap is capable of scoring like he use to, but maybe going back to 4v4 will help. I do love Silva off the bench and if the other guy is good too, it’ll be a big help.

1st. Cavano

The first thing I look for after the draft is every team’s defensive weakness and boy, there aren’t any on this team. This team easily looks like the best in the league. Cavano-Dwyer-Kodra are all a pain in the ass on the defensive end of the floor, with their length and height. When Pollock is your worst defender then life is a good for you on that end of the floor. I’m having a hard time seeing where teams are going to score on these guys, unless you can execute to perfection or maybe try bullying them down low. You don’t want to play a team that can easily switch everything and give up no mismatches.

Offensively, I can see some issues for this team. Not at point guard though, because I don’t know what everyone is smoking, but Pollock is on the short list of guys in the entire CAC who I’d want as a point guard.  The problem offensively is I’m not sure these guys fit in terms of playing style. I see a lot of guys hanging around the 3-point line, with Cavano setting random screens inside the paint. I’m not sure everyone on this team will know where to be. I think it’s going to take a while for them to get offensive chemistry, if they can at all.

Defense wins game in this league and that’s where this team is going to thrive. It’s going to take a big effort from other teams to break 50 against these guys every week. Even if Dwyer misses a playoff game, they have the depth. G-Flow is an excellent bench option and the rookie could be hit or miss, but if he’s a hit then Dwyer’s absence will be an afterthought. This team is going to be a real tough out and it’s going to take the right team.  

TO THE LINES!

SEX vs Armstrongageddon 615p Game:

I don’t care if the named changed on the site, SEX is the name of this team and no one can stop me from using it. Anyways, this quite the interesting opening match-up. We have a team full of CAC veterans against a team full of unknowns. 

The feature match-up of this game, has to be the only one I know. MacDonald vs Armstrong should be a hell of a match-up. Like I said, I’ve never seen Armstrong play in this setting, so I’m looking forward to how he does against MacDonald. They both have a similar build, so it’s going to boil down to whose better. I will say this though, MacDonald has been slacking defensively the past few seasons. I might have to give Armstrong the edge here, but we’ll see what happens.

It’s hard to predict the match-ups for this game, since I don’t know the rookies. I suspect Ian will preach running on this team, since they have two older, aging like fine wine bigs in Bully and Roberts. I wonder who Ian will try to guard right off the bat, if he starts himself. 

I don’t think I can go against my CAC vets in the very first game of the season and of course I can’t go against AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIR?!?! The veterans come out hot and use their chemistry to pull off a win.

SEX -2.5 over Armstrongageddon

Vaxxin and Waxin vs. Sheff 7:55p Game:

Billy had the gull to talk about my team names and he puts this one up, gross. This should be an interesting match-up, as Sheff’s team gets to try and make a statement right off the bat in week 1, against another team full of CAC vets. 

Sheff’s height is going to get tested right out of the gate as they take on Nestler and to a lesser degree, Noah. I think Nestler will have a lot of success if he chooses to go into the post to score and not look to pass every chance he gets. Nestler, was very hesitant in 5v5 to be aggressive in the post, instead searching for cutters as opposed to searching for the hoop. I want to see some post domination out of him in this game. He said he’s ready to be great again, so show me your greatness.

On the other end of the floor, I’ll be interested to see how this Harding-Lagno-Stahl trio does offensively against a good looking defensive team. Nestler, is a big defensive presence, so Calvin I assume, will be in for a tough day. I think it’ll be up to Lagno and Harding to be the engines behind the offense in this game. How will Harding do without Vladi’s calming presence? Can Harding lead an offense? If he can, his first act should be to get Lagno going again. Lagno, was great in Franchise B, before the world fell apart. Can he find his game again? They’ll need his scoring every night.

Sheff’s unknown rookie is going to be put to the test right away in this game. If he can’t help the team in this match-up, it might be a long season for Sheff’s team. Like for the above match-up, there’s too many question marks on Sheff’s team to see them winning this game. Me thinks Nestler makes his mark in week 1.

Vaxxin and Waxin -7.5 over Sheff 

Civale vs Length > Girth 8:55p Game:

Well, this should be a fun way to close the night. What people think will be the best defensive team in the league against what people think will be the best offensive team in the league. If you’re looking for a team that is best suited to guard Hof, here it is. Cavano, has a bunch of defenders who can take their shot at Hof. They can all switch screens and they’re all long and lanky defenders. 

The question I’ll have for Civale this week, will be the same as every week. How are they matching up on defense? I assume Joel will take Pollock, so where do they go from here? Do they assume Dwyer is the second option? I would, but can Djordje guard him? That leaves Civale/Hof for Cavano/Kodra, although I expect a lot of screens for Pollock, which might Joel off him and that’s bad news for Civale’s team. The only thing in favor of Civale’s team, is that the week 1 chemistry might not be there for Length > Girth.

Even without chemistry, I just don’t see Civale’s team being good defense this week or any week. Length > Girth is going to score points. Hof, is going to need a big effort here against good defense and someone else is going to need to step up big time. However, I don’t see anyone else having a big scoring game. Length > Girth is going to lay a week 1 smack down and prove me right off the bat.

Length > Girth -8.5 over Civale. 

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

January 18, 2022
2:12 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 4455

HTD1223 said
Kap, despite being the worst fill-in player in CAC history, is actually a pretty good GM.

Nothing you said right here is false!

OLD W22 | A Draft S19 | OLD S19 | Franchise B S18 | A 5v5 S18 | B1 5v5 W18 | B Draft S17 | Franchise W14 | Franchise F13 | Franchise S13 | A Draft W12 | SML F11 | SML S11 | A2 W11 | B1 S05

Hall of Fame 5th Class Inductee

January 18, 2022
3:04 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 92

7:05 Silva Dolla vs. Miyagi-Do

In the 7:05 slot for week one we have an intriguing matchup between Kap’s Silva Dolla and Harry’s Miyagi-Do. Silva Dolla came in at a very respectable second in my pre-season power rankings, while Miyagi-Do was down near the bottom at number seven. Interestingly, when Harry commented on the post, he said nothing about his teams very low ranking, rather he tried to distract by talking about something completely different. Has Harry given up on his team already? Is he quietly admitting he messed up when he was constructing it? The best way to find out the answers to these important questions is on the floor, which is what we will get on tomorrow.

On paper, this is a tough matchup for Miyagi-Do. Silva Dolla has two of the top guards in the league while Miyagi-Do’s has only one true guard on their roster. Defending Tenney and Kap will be a problem, especially since Vladi doesn’t usually give his best effort on defense until the playoffs (load management considerations), so that likely leaves Webert to guard Tenney. That is a tough ask for someone who hasn’t played in a CAC league the last few years. Vladi will do his best to slow down Kap and you can be sure there will be no shortage of trash talk between those two if they are matched up. Given the lack of guards we could see Harry try out some sort of zone, however, Silva Dolla has the personnel to shoot them out of that zone with Tenney, Kap and Silva, so I’m not sure that is the best idea.

For Miyagi-Do on offense, establishing the Swecker and Vladi two-man game will be key. The other four players on their roster average around 10 points per game combined so Swecker and Vladi will likely need to combine for at least 50 points for them to have a chance.  While Walker is one of the better post defenders in the league, Swecker was the first pick for a reason and Miyagi-Do will lean heavily on Swecker to carry the scoring load. Vladi also will get his, though he likely will get more attention than he did last season when he had Harding, Devine, Johnson and McDonald on the court with him.

For Silva Dolla, they have an advantage at guard that Kap will look to exploit. Casey and Kap is one of the best guard duos in the league and their starting four as a unit that fits well together and should be able to space the floor well. Casey and Kap will both greatly benefit from Walker’s screens when they choose to go that route, but also, they have the shooting to spread the floor when they want someone to operate in isolation. Defensively, they actually match up surprisingly well with Miyagi-Do. Kap or potentially even Dodakian will start off on Vladi and Walker will be tasked with slowing down Swecker. Silva Dolla has a lot of options to throw on guards, but if they have one weakness on defense it is Walker is their only true big defender for now. Gilles could fill that role, but as a true rookie it’s asking a lot to ask him to slow down Swecker in his first game.

With Silva Dolla having the advantage in the backcourt and Miyagi-Do in the frontcourt, this one comes down to secondary scoring to me. It’s easy to project the 3-6th players on Silva Dolla chipping in 20+ points, while for Miyagi-Do that same total will be a stretch. For Miyagi-Do to have a chance they need Swecker and Vladi to outscore Casey and Kap considerably, but I just don’t see happening this week.

Silva Dolla -6.5 over Miyagi-Do

January 18, 2022
3:35 pm
Members

he said nothing about his teams very low ranking

My response was in my rankings, the only rankings that matter. 

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

January 18, 2022
10:24 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 114

HTD1223 said

See you in the second round.

“We’re good, but not that good”

F21 #5v5DraftWest Champs (Uni R-U), OPOY ||| 1T: F21 / 2T: W22, W22

January 20, 2022
12:36 pm
Members

No Sex in the air tonight!

SEX, opened up the season against Ian Cundall’s barrage of rookies and Armstrong (plus Ian and Johnson). MacDonald, announced he was taking his usual two weeks off to open the season, which seemed to be a huge blow against what should be an athletic team. Everyone else was in attendance, TO THE ACTION!

The CAC world was anxious to see rookie Raymond Myer and find out how good practice players from Texas are. Myer, started out hot with a drive for 2 and screamed “AND-1”. He was immediately scolded by KD for doing so. Sorry kid, you’re a rook here and only the veterans can get away with that. Nonetheless, Myer looked pretty good out there, but not the kind of domination that would doom this league from the get go. Rookies Danzig and Billings, your favorite cop duo also looked good off the bat. All three are athletic guys who can grab a bunch of boards, play strong defense and pass the rock. Their shooting has yet to be defined. 

On the other end of the floor, the SEX was being brought to us by Paul Calderan, who seems to like opening night games. I remember last season he had a good effort against my team, scoring in double digits and he was doing it again to Ian’s team. Calderan, would hit three first half threes and added a bucket inside to pace his team with 11 first half points. He also had 5 rebounds, a big effort from someone looking to fill MacDonald’s shoes in his absence. The Bully led the world with 10 first half rebounds and Roberts had himself a couple first half assists to lead the team. 

I don’t know what the score was to end the half, because the scoreboard was trash and I was tried of jamming my thumb on it, like I was playing Nintendo again as a kid. I’ll say Ian’s team had a small lead, with Myer leading the team with 9 first half points. SEX, was doing a good job keeping this thing close without MacDonald there. BACK TO THE ACTION!

The Paul Calderan show continued into the second half, with him hitting three more treys a couple minutes into the half. This would give SEX a small lead for the time being. The rest of the team would start slowing down a bit though, Jet would be the only one to hit a 3-pointner outside of Paul and the Bully/Roberts combo were having to fight wars in the post just to score a bucket. They did still have their trademark chemistry as Roberts gave the Bully a nice dime and then the Bully returned the favor. The old guys can still get it down the low post people. However, the younger athletes would rule the day.

After the Calderan show ended, Armstrongageddon would really start to take off. It feel like everyone was contributing for this team, up and down the roster. Johnson, added 8 points without a single 3. Ian had 7 second half points and Armstrong had 11 second points. Billings, spent the second half smashing his turbo button and running all over the court dishing out dimes. Myer, continued to be beast down low, getting to the line 10 times. He even drew a technical on the Bully, who KD scolded like a sad parent. Nothing, but good things for these guys in the second half, except for their 3-point shooting. Although, I’d say it’s pretty great to get to 81 points when you have a bad night from 3.

SEX, just couldn’t keep up in the second half here. The offensive rebounds told a real story in this game. Armstrongageddon had 17 offensive rebounds and SEX, only had 3 offense rebounds for the game. That’s not something you usually see on a team with the Bully and Roberts, who both can rack up the boards. Great start to the season for Armstrongageddon as they ran away with this one 81-63.

Grades

Roberts B: Hard to hate on Roberts performance here, but I don’t like seeing no O-boards. 

Bully B-: The Bully got outplayed his counter part in this game, though I will say it’s a hard ask to have the Bully guard an athletic big like Myer. 

Jet C: The Jet started off strong, including blocking the absolute shit out of Ian. However, he just didn’t have the affect on this game he usually does.

Calderan A: I don’t know what Paul’s career high in made 3s is, but I’m going to say this was close. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIR C-: All I’m going to say, is that Rich Carey would have made a 3 in this game.

Armstrongageddon

Myer A-: Good start for Myer, he’s going to be a pain in the ass for OLD. I’m leaving room for improvement in this league though.

Danzig B: Not a bad start here either, though he struggled from deep, posting an 0fer.

Armstrong B-: For being the team’s first pick and all, Armstrong didn’t take center stage. Looked like he was letting the rookies do their thing and went from there. He spent most of the game in the post, which is interesting for a guard.

Billings A: Once Billings got comfortable out there, he really started to shine. He went from perfect from the line, 2 of 3 from deep, 3 steals and led the team with 4 assists.

Johnson B+: Johnson struggled from deep, posting an 0fer, but he did run the floor a couple times and added 8 rebounds, which is a big number for him.

Ian C+: Ian was unusually aggressive in this game, which got me excited, but he didn’t produce most of his points until the game was over. 

January 20, 2022
1:55 pm
Members

Sheff cooks up his blowout special

Coming into the season, Sheff’s team had some seriously low expectations, with almost everyone picking them to finish last. On the other side, Billy’s team was getting the veteran’s love and respect card. Boy, was everyone wrong to do that. Sheff was missing their rookie, who I found out is hurt and Alphen. Billy’s team had everyone, TO THE ACTION!

Vaxxin and Waxin (this team name deserves to get blown out) actually came out strong to start the game, going on an 8-0 run. Noah, contributed in the post with his one and only move the other team hasn’t seen yet. Nestler, also had a quick bucket to begin the game as well and it looked like they were about to run away with it. 

Usually, I stop talk more about the team above, but we have to stop right there, because the avalanche was coming. Sheff’s team after falling behind would just go on a huge run behind Calvin, who suddenly turned into Hof, chucking threes with no regard for human life. Calvin would hit 6 threes, going 6 for 12 in the first half. He also had a couple nice drives to the hole for 2 and collected 5 steals. He was just a one man wrecking crew out there, maybe Leblanc should have told his team that Calvin was good. Harding, also contributed with 14 first half points, on a whole lot of shots and Sheff had 6 points of his own, to go along with 3 assists.

Back to Vaxxin and Waxin, whose offense fell off a cliff after the first 5 minutes. If this stupid scoreboard didn’t fail me, I could have noted they probably went the last 10 minutes of the game scoring 5 points. I don’t know what Young (old) Billy Jackson’s offense plan was, but it sure seemed to featured one too many Billy ISOs and shots. I wondered who would have the keys to the offense, Billy or Leblanc and if week 1 is any indication, God speed to this team. The only first half bright spot was Albere, who looked pretty good in the post. He scored 2 hoops and ripped down 5 boards, before I think conditioning got the best of him. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team fall apart as fast as this one in just one half for no real reason. To matters worse, they were called for a timeout Tech! A black stain on Billy’s captain record I shall never forget.

To the shock of everyone in the league, Sheff’s team went into the half up 46-19. Yes, that’s right, 46-19. Woof, not even Buzz’s girlfriend was that bad looking. BACK TO THE SLAUGHTER!

Just on variance alone, the second half would get better for Vaxxin and Waxin. Sheff’s team really cooled down from deep in the second half. They would go a combined 2 for 15 from deep and only scoring 15 second half points. This is definitely a sign of how Sheff’s team is going to win or lose games and that’s going to be coming from their ability to make 3s. We can laugh all we want about Billy’s team and we will, but 15 points in the second half is quite bad. These guys are going to need a better plan when they aren’t playing against the little sisters of the poor. 

Speaking of which, Vaxxin and Waxin’s offense continued to look like dogshit in the second half. Leblanc, continued to his 5v5 play, where he just isn’t a factor for long periods of time. Although, you can pass some of the blame to Billy, who clearly wants to be the lead guard on his team. Billy, did have some nice assists, but man this offense blows. Not to be left out, Mr. Nestler, who thought he should be a first round pick continued his protest against being an offensive player. He had 12 points in this game, against a team without a big man. I said in my preview this should be a game where he gets buckets and he didn’t do that. How is he going to score against a team with bigs? How is anyone on this team going to score against good defensive teams? They combined to go 2 for 16 from 3 for the game. 

Despite Sheff’s team doing absolutely nothing to score in the second half, this game was never within 20 points after that lead was reached. The first half had me thinking Sheff’s team might be better than we thought, then the second half washed those thoughts away and on to how bad Billy’s team might be. 61-41 Final, yuck! 

Grades (Every Vaxxin and Waxin player starts at C)

Billy D: Billy, took a whole lot of shots in this game, if I had to guess I’d say he took the most on the team. That’s not something I’d want on this team and I can’t believe he would either.

Leblanc D: Leblanc deserves as much blame as Billy. This was like one of his 5v5 games, but this is 4v4 and he needs to be way better.

Nestler F+: I don’t care if he got a thousand rebounds or blocks. Where are my points?!?!? Against a non big man team, we can only get to 12? That sucks.

Noah C-: First game back, he looked ok or maybe his teammates looked really bad, so I didn’t notice his flaws.

Glynn D+: Good effort, just couldn’t connect from deep.

Albere C: I thought he looked good when he got to be a part of the offense.

Sheff

Harding C: Harding, had what I liked to call an Iverson game, where he got to 20 points on like 30 shots.

Calvin A: I was glad to see this for many reasons, the most important being I was happy to see someone on the court who could score.

Lagno D+: Bad shooting day for Paul, but he did grab boards and they’ll need that on this team.

Sheff B+: Sheff, might never hit a 3 again, but he played good in this one. 

January 20, 2022
6:02 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 55
8sp_Permalink sp_Print
+2

Everyone talking about Texas walk on but noone respects I was a UConn woman’s practice squad player in 2012 smh

January 20, 2022
9:36 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 1735

Harry, that’s a terrific write up for our game.  Thank you!  Scorekeepers usually are too generous (aka pussies) with grades, but your grades for our team are all pretty spot on. 

We sucked, no 2 ways around it.  I’m not too concerned about it though.  Did I plan for myself to shoot the most shots on our team coming into tonight?  No (if that was actually the case).  Does our team have a script regarding who should shoot how many shots per night?  No.  I’m happy with anybody taking good looks that gets them on any given week.  I thought everybody on our team took good looks, we had decent chemistry on offense for week 1, and we didn’t turn the ball over too much.  So I think we’ll be fine.  On the other hand, giving up 46 points in one half is a huge problem, but we only gave up 15 in the second half apparently, so who fuckin knows how our defense will turn out.  That’ll be what makes or breaks our season more than our offense.

I think you’ve got Adam pegged wrongly.  I think of him more as a stretch/athletic big than a bruising post big.  You called him out for not doing better against a “non big man team”, but I think he’s better if matched up against more of a traditional big where his athleticism and outside shooting can be more effective.  He could have been better last night either way, but I’m not thinking twice about that criticism there and I’m guessing Adam isn’t either.

And on that note, I feel like Calvin’s gotta be considered a big in this league, no? He’s a pretty good sized dude. I feel like if we’re gonna call Cavano or Haas a big, then Calvin is a big as well.

9x CAC champion, 2x finals mvp, Nick Mazzeo's biological father

January 21, 2022
1:52 pm
Members

action781 said
Harry, that’s a terrific write up for our game.  Thank you!  Scorekeepers usually are too generous (aka pussies) with grades, but your grades for our team are all pretty spot on. 

We sucked, no 2 ways around it.  I’m not too concerned about it though.  Did I plan for myself to shoot the most shots on our team coming into tonight?  No (if that was actually the case).  Does our team have a script regarding who should shoot how many shots per night?  No.  I’m happy with anybody taking good looks that gets them on any given week.  I thought everybody on our team took good looks, we had decent chemistry on offense for week 1, and we didn’t turn the ball over too much.  So I think we’ll be fine.  On the other hand, giving up 46 points in one half is a huge problem, but we only gave up 15 in the second half apparently, so who fuckin knows how our defense will turn out.  That’ll be what makes or breaks our season more than our offense.

I think you’ve got Adam pegged wrongly.  I think of him more as a stretch/athletic big than a bruising post big.  You called him out for not doing better against a “non big man team”, but I think he’s better if matched up against more of a traditional big where his athleticism and outside shooting can be more effective.  He could have been better last night either way, but I’m not thinking twice about that criticism there and I’m guessing Adam isn’t either.

And on that note, I feel like Calvin’s gotta be considered a big in this league, no? He’s a pretty good sized dude. I feel like if we’re gonna call Cavano or Haas a big, then Calvin is a big as well.  

That’s fair, Calvin should be counted as a “big” in this league and he isn’t a push over.

As for Nestler, I’m not really sure what his best match-up offensively is. All I know for sure is, the match-ups aren’t going to get any easier against the better teams in this league and that was a very disappointing start in my eyes.  

January 21, 2022
2:23 pm
Members
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cavano’s length too much for Civale inside 

I thought this was going to be the best game of the evening, so naturally Hof had to go and ruin it by attending the Celtics game. He would of course lose the game for the Celtics too, so I’m giving Civale’s team an extra loss, please and thank you. Cavano’ squad, Length>Girth would have everyone available (eventually), including the returning G-Flow. TO THE ACTION!

Civale, being the savvy captain that he is, knew Hof was out and that this might his only time to shine this season. So, he brought out some vintage Civale play, dripping 3s from deep, like I was guarding him. He would go 4 for 6 from Steph Curry land, in the first half and added 6 points inside the paint as well for 19 first half points. A hell of an effort for the captain against a very good looking defensive team, that should have been focused on him. Joel and Haddock chipped in with a three of their own in the first half, but it was Civale show for this team.

On the other end of the floor, Cavano and G-Flow did their best to keep up. Cavano, had 11 first half points and G-Flow had 9 in his return. Pollock, did a good job of getting everything involved and 5 first half assists to pace both teams. Length >Girth did a good job overall of getting everyone involved and spread the ball around in the first half. Not bad for a week 1 with a group of guys who haven’t played together.

The first half was surprisingly close as Civale’s team was able to keep up, thanks to its captain. Everyone on the team was able to pick up a first half assist as well, which is always a good thing. 35-30 Length>Girth was we went into the half, BACK TO THE ACTION!

Rookie Peter Georges-Clapp made his presence known in the second half, with some sexy blocks and steals. His shot didn’t look to bad either, if he had any legs behind them, because he air balled his 3-point attempts. The defense was impressive though, on a team that has a lot of it already. Cavano and Dwyer would pick up the scoring in the second half for Length >Girth, combing for 21 of the teams 32 points in the half. Dwyer, especially was much more aggressive in he second half going to the hole and converting. He got to the line 6 times for the game as well.

Speaking of extra aggression, Djordje, was putting in work down low, converting a bunch of buckets inside to lead his team in scoring for the half. Joel and Civale had some nice dishes to him. Obviously, this team will look much different when Hof is there, but the ball movement in this game was good. They might have beaten a less defensively minded team.

Civale’s team would stay within two possessions for most of the game, but eventually Length >Girth’s defense would allow them to pull away. They had 11 steals for the game, to go along with 5 blocks and 7 of those steals came in the second half. Ball control is going to be a problem for the team when Joel and Civale are your leading ball handlers. They did do an admirable job, but it wasn’t going to cut it in this game. 67-58 Final Length > Girth.

Grades (As I was doing his, it occurred to me that this team let Civale score 27 points on them, so everyone goes down a notch, even in victory)

Cavano B+ : This probably the best scoring night you can get of Cavano, but he was off from 3, so I can’t give a full A.

Dwyer B-: Dwyer, did his thing where he disappears for a half, then comes back strong in the other half. His shot from 3 was off as well.

Pollock C+ Good assist and defensive game, but he can play better scoring the rock. 

Kerk B: Good game in his return, but he slowed down the stretch. His status for next game is Questionable, due to conditioning. 

Peter-Georges C: I loved the defensive showing, but I’m going to need him to start hitting the rim on his shots.

Kodra B-: Solid Kodra game, he get their late, so this is in limited minutes.

Civale

Civale A: I don’t know how much more Civale could do, except play defense? 

Joel B-: I told Joel B-, so I’m going to stick with it. I feel like he played Pollock to even. 

Djordje B+: Djordje, was a beast in the second half and almost brought his team back.

Haddock B: Didn’t get abused on defense and hit a 3. This was a good Haddock game, except for the 3 he took from half court.

DTO C+: Not a bad first game, though he did get lost on some of his dribble drives. 

January 21, 2022
6:08 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 92
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Miyagi-Do win their first game

There was a lot of chatter heading into this game about the quality of the Miyagi-Do secondary pieces and how they would stack up against a team like Silva Dolla. Harry brushed that off as not a concern at all and if the first game is any indication, he might have been right.

The shine came off this game quickly as Silva Dolla found out only moments before the game that their first-round pick Casey Tenney would be unable to play. Casey’s absence was quickly noticeable on the offensive end as Silva Dolla was all out of sorts to start the game, Kap got things started early, but he was really the only offense for them. Meanwhile, Miyagi-Do’s early baskets came from an unlucky source, Zach Webert. Webert had a couple nice takes to the rim early and even hit a three for seven quick points. The game was somewhat close after the first five minutes with Harry up 11-8, but from there, things got out of hand quickly.

10 minutes later, the score was 33-14 Miyagi-Do as Silva Dolla couldn’t get anything going offensively. There wasn’t much passing going on for them and their offense was basically Kap or Dodakian taking things on in isolation or running off a Walker pick. That offense did start to work as the half went on and Silva Dolla finally found some rhythm, cutting the lead from 20+ to 13 at half-time. Dodakian led the way at halftime for them with 10 points, while Swecker and Webert led things for Miyagi-Do with 10 and 9 points.

The second half unfortunately was more of the same as Silva Dolla couldn’t get the deficit under 10 points. Everytime they went on a little run, Miyagi-Do had an answer. Vladi decided to shoot some and knocked down three second half triples and even Motha and Mackay got into the action knocking down threes. Swecker also kept up his strong play in the second half, dominating down low and scoring another 10 points. The Vladi, Swecker two-man game is going to be very hard to stop, especially if the rest of Miyagi-Do is knocking down shots like they did in this game. Webert, Harry, Moth and Mackay combined for 35 points in this game when they average just over 10 points per game usually.

Silva Dolla did have some encouraging performances in the second half, especially Ben Silva who scored 13 second half points and Walker who got going late and chipped in eight. It was too little, too late however and by the last quarter of the game they had run out of steam. Final score Miyagi-Do 74, Silva Dolla 54. 

Miyagi-Do

Swecker B+: Nice start with 20/11, but will likely face stiffer opposition as the season goes on and will have to be more assertive.

Vladi B+: I’d call this a quiet game for Vladi, but he still had 19 points and was very efficient on offense.

Webert B+: Great start offensively and stayed active throughout the game. If he can score double digits most games, the concerns about secondary scoring from this team will be alleviated quickly.

Harry B-: Had a remarkably athletic layup, but otherwise didn’t have to do to much as the rest of his team played so well.

Motha B: Solid offensive game and was his usual physical presence down low.

Mackay A-: Really nice game for Matt knocking down his only three and chipping in a couple more buckets.

Silva Dolla

Kap B: Tough situation with no Casey and struggled to find his shot. Did chip in three steals and six assists, but needs to score more than twelve points when he is the focal point of the offense.

Walker B-: Slow first half, much better in the second half. Couldn’t really get anything going against Swecker, but did a good job slowing him down on offense for the most part.

Dodakian B-: Nice first half, but seemed to slow in the second half, only scoring three of this 13 points.

Silva A-: Really nice game from my steal of the draft for this team. Ben has always been able to score and showed it here dropping 18 points and making four threes. His scoring off the bench is a big part of why this team will likely be fine in the long-term.

Gilles C: First career CAC game so will give him a mulligan here. Always tough adjusting to 4v4 and the smaller court.

January 21, 2022
7:04 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 114
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Harding C: Harding, had what I liked to call an Iverson game, where he got to 20 points on like 30 shots.

AI is a HOFer and I’m a Sixers fan so this may be the greatest compliment I’ve ever received.

Underrate Sheff’s Choice at your own risk. We took the foot off the gas in the second half.

F21 #5v5DraftWest Champs (Uni R-U), OPOY ||| 1T: F21 / 2T: W22, W22

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4455

HTD1223: 2817

docspauld: 2394

damruff: 2203