BDraft Winter 2022 Preview and Week 3 lines | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
BDraft Winter 2022 Preview and Week 3 lines
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
September 22, 2022
12:51 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 2879
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We’re on to week 3, with the ROY, DPOY and MVP award races being as hot as ever. We are also still learning about all these new rookies and anxiously awaiting some people’s debut (Joel). TO THE LINES!

6:15 PM Learner No More vs. Letalien Stallions (Ian)

Kicking off week three we’ve got a battle between two of the three undefeated, Harry’s Learner No More and Cawley’s Letalien Stallions. This will be a good test for both teams as we look to establish the B Draft hierarchy ahead of the first power rankings after this week.

For the first time in a few seasons it feels like Harry put together the type of team he likes. The last two seasons have been struggles for him, but as post Harry has come back, so have his captaining skills it seems. Last week he pressed all the right buttons when dealing with the Calvin situation and now they look ready to move forward with as a cohesive unit.

Letalien Stallions, meanwhile, look like one of the early favorites. It certainly helps when your captain is a first-round pick, but Cawley also put together a strong squad around him, with players that complement each other well and can play off each other. For the sake of this game, I hope Cawley is back this week as without him last week Letalien Stallions struggled against an understaffed Powderpuff Girls and it is unclear if they will be fully staffed.

The big storyline heading into the game is the status of Ben Koller. Koller rolled his ankle near the end of last week’s victory and as of now we have no update on his availability. One CAC insider, however, was skeptical he would play this week noting “he wants no part of the smoke that Post Harry will bring this week.” We will see if Koller is up for the task or avoids this week’s game as that insider has suggested, but if he is absent things become a lot tougher for Letalien Stallions.

Koller’s size was set to be the big advantage Stallions had in this matchup. Harry’s team doesn’t have someone taller than Koller so I imagine Ben would like his chances against whoever they throw against him. If he isn’t there, however, it becomes a battle of two teams with a bunch of wings and combo guards. Stallions key duo will be Pollock and Cawley and they will be matched by LNM’s Vladi and Calvin. Pollock and Vladi have matched up many times in the B Draft universe, but I’m not sure how familiar Cawley is with Calvin and vice-versa. Their matchup should be a fun one to watch, especially if we get non-whiny Calvin again. Whichever team can get more production from their duo will become the prohibitive favorite in this one, but they both have secondary pieces with impact ability as well.

Both these teams have great depth beyond their first few picks and that has definitely contributed to their earlier season success. LNM has got great production from Xavier and Dodakian in the early season and hasn’t been hurt by the lack of outside shooting threat they pose. Their length will be huge on defense in this one as it will allow Harry to give Calvin a break and not have to guard Cawley the entire time and I wouldn’t be surprised either if Harry throws one of them on Koller at times if he is playing. Glynn also plays an important role on this team as he can do a little of everything on both ends of the floor and can knock down threes when he is on. 

For Letalien Stallions the biggest revelation this season from their other three players has been the shooting ability of Tommy “Big Guns” Ng. Tommy is averaging a career high eight points per game right now and has knocked down some big shots in each of the first two games. He clearly put in the work this offseason, something some others in the league definitely did not (Ian Cundall). Beyond him, Cam gives them another solid defender with length and athleticism and Gagon also is very athletic and able to run up and down and play the transition game that Cawley and co thrive in.

Without knowing the status of Koller, this is a tough one to call. As a result I’m going to hedge and offer two lines, one of which will be pulled down once we have more information on his availability. If Koller is in and 100% then I like Letalien Stallions to win and cover. If he is out, however I like Learner No More.

Letalien Stallions -4.5 over Learner No More (with Koller)

Learner No More -5.5 over Letalien Stallions (no Koller)

Sutton Who? vs. Goat Shit 3: Amir’s Revenge 7:05p Game:

We have game of the night material here folks, with Kap’s Goat Shit taking on Ian’s Sutton Who? in the second game of the evening. This match-up does lose some luster without Joel being there, but it’s still a very interesting contest as Myer takes on another challenge to his throne. Let’s dig into that pairing right off the bat.

Spencer has played fairly well in his two games this season, but I have questions! And I’m thinking those questions might be answered tonight as he squares off against Myer. Spencer, has a good combo of athleticism, speed and strength, but Myer can match all those qualities. I will be interested in seeing if Spencer will be able to score on Myer consistently, since he’s been afraid of his jump shot in the first two weeks. Although, that goes the other way too. Myer, doesn’t usually face someone bigger than him that possesses the same athletic ability and we all his jump shot is already trash, so it’ll be interesting to see if Myer will be able to score like usual. Myer, not being able to give his usual production is going to hurt his team a lot more without Joel there.

As for the secondary guys, Sutton Who? has been getting a lot of production form their bench in the first two games. Cole, has looked good in his role as secondary ball handler off the bench and Deven, has been able to contribute with some inside buckets. That’s going to be huge in this game, because Goat Shit won’t have their usual depth, which means AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIR is going to have to be big out there and Silva is going to need to step up huge on defense. My other concern for Kap’s squad is that Ian’s team matches up very well defensively and since Myer won’t be seeing his usual doubles, there won’t be a lot of open shots for Ghost/Silva/Amir. It’ll be up to Kap to create more open looks than usual and Clasby is good defender, who has a lot of inches on Kap.

If there was any game that these guys needed Joel to show up for it would be this one. Joel, could flip the match-ups in this game and force Ian’s team to adjust, however without him there, the match-ups clearly favor Sutton who? I don’t think Goat Shit will be able to find enough points to win this game. In fact, I’ll give a hot take and say they don’t score over 60 points. 

Sutton Who? -6.5 over Goat Shit 3: Amir’s Revenge

Twisted Ts and 3s vs Drive and Kick 7:55p Game:

This should be a fun game between a team loaded on potential and another team coming off a nice statement victory the week before. I expect Twisted Ts and 3s to come out strong here after two weeks of floundering play. Let’s take a look at this game, shall we? 

I mentioned last week in the write-ups, that Tucker reminds me of CAC legend, Matthew Wetherbee and I stand by that statement! He has a nice J, that should be coming off a bunch of screens to free it up. However, this team doesn’t appear to have that kind of offensive set-up, leaving Tucker to try and go one-on-one against top defenders. The first two weeks he’s drawn Myer and Spencer, so no where to go but up or down in this case. I’d like to see him start flying off screens, but the chemistry hasn’t been there for these guys. A bunch of friends playing together you’d think they’d know how to help each other, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. What kind of friendship is this? I think we need an intervention. 

On the other side of the court, Drive and Kick looked very good in victory last week. They got scoring from everyone, including a couple clutch 3s from the “The Great One”. Harding and Leblanc filled it up, while Noah and Kodra pitched in, in different ways. They match up very well against their opponents tonight. I don’t know how Nate plans to match-up, but having two smaller guys trying to guard Leblanc and Harding isn’t a good thing. Both are well versed in using their size and strength to get to the cup. We last week the damage that can be done to Nate’s squad down low. I’m not sure Hanks will be back for this game, but even if he is, he’s only one man and all 4 starters on DNK can post if they want to. 

Twisted Ts and 3s, really needs to get into the softer portion of their schedule as soon as possible. They need to work on their chemistry and finding the best line-ups to put out there. Maybe, even try some zone defenses or something, because the lack of size is killing them. This isn’t the match-up for that, nor has it been in the previous weeks. I don’t see them getting nearly enough stops to win this game and it would have to be a lot, because their best scorers will be facing tough defensive match-ups all night. This feels like a beating. 

Drive and Kick -10.5 over Twisted Ts and 3s

8:45 PM Pink Ponies vs. Powderpuff Girls (Ian)

Closing the books on week two, we’ve got a matchup between a pair of winless teams, Civale’s Pink Ponies and Etheridge’s Powderpuff Girls. Both these teams lost close games last week and have had significant attendance issues in each of the first two games, which has contributed to their poor records. On paper these are a pair of interesting teams, but it is hard to judge them as we have yet to see either fully staffed. 

Pink Ponies had a great battle with LNM last week, but just came up short. Nestler and Civale both had big games and getting Weinstein back this week should take some pressure off them to score. You could tell they really could have used Weinstein’s shot making as both forced some shots at the end of the game from spots you could tell they weren’t comfortable shooting. A starting lineup of those three plus Mals has really nice balance and on paper sounds good so I’m interested to see how it looks in game action. Mals stepped up big time last week and he will need to carry over his strong play with Sanctose’s status uncertain. Similarly, Maz will need to carry over his strong shooting and defensive performance when he gets in. 

Powderpuff Girls, meanwhile, have played their first two games without their captain and first round pick. I’m very interested to see how they fit with Cavano, Arinella and Rich as that is five players who function best with the ball in their hands. Jet can defer to a more facilitating role, but there’s a concerning lack of outside shooting from that bunch.

The key matchup in this one is going to be Nestler vs. McDonald/Cavano. Nestler is coming off a triple-double last week, but McDonald has the defensive ability to slow him down and force him to a play a more secondary role. Nestler’s advantage in that matchup is his size, but we haven’t really seen him operate from the block yet, but maybe this is the week he ventures down there consistently, especially if Weinstein is back. Nestler’s size also will play on the defensive end in this one. We know he is one of the best defenders in the league and he will have to do a good job protecting the pain with the downhill drivers Powderpuff Girls possess. We haven’t seen McDonald in B Draft in a few seasons, so I’m very interested to see how he looks as he has been putting up great numbers in Franchise. If he can spread the floor even a little that will be huge for the spacing of his team and open things up for others to get to the rim.

Beyond that key matchup there are some other interesting ones. First is Civale vs. whoever guards him. Civale has been on a scoring tear of late and there isn’t a clear matchup for him here. I’m guessing Rich starts off on him, but I’m not sure it is in Powderpuff Girls best interest for Rich to be playing that far out on the perimeter. if you don’t close out on Civale, he has shown he can carry a team shooting only threes like he did at the beginning of last week’s game. The best matchup for him might actually be Etheridge as that would then allow Rich to take Mals. The other interesting one to me is Cavano and Weinstein. Cavano had to be the alpha scorer last week and put up 22 in a close loss. He might need similar production this week as McDonald has a tough matchup with Nestler and Etheridge looks to get reacclimated to the speed of the game in his season debut. Jet also can contribute points and it will be interesting to see how adjusts and fits in with more ball dominant players on the court. 

How this game goes will largely be down to attendance. Looking at the players on each team, I like Pink Ponies chances to be fully staffed significantly better than Powderpuff Girls. That makes them the favorite for me, and I like them to win as well.

Pink Ponies -3.5 over Powderpuff Girls

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

September 23, 2022
4:14 pm
Members

Powerpuff Girls Power up late to snatch victory

I didn’t have high hopes coming into this game, because these teams don’t even care about the girly names they have, so why care about their match-up? I could have been home watching the Steelers and Browns ruin my under over and over and ovvvvvvvver again. Anyways, Rich was out for PPG and Civale’s team was still missing their rookie and more importantly, Weinstein. TO THE ACTION!

The Pink Ponies came flying out of the gate, with Civale and Nestler dominating the pace of the game with 3s and some nifty passing (Nestler, not Civale). They seemed to be the more determined team, immediately taking a double digit lead in this game. This appears to be a staple of Nestler led teams, always coming out hot in the first half and then, well you’ll see.

I don’t know what was going on, on the other end of the floor, but the Powerpuff Girls were lacking energy. MacDonald, despite filling up the stat sheet, looked out to lunch on the defensive end. It reminded me of the MacDonald I got in our Monday Team League, who was oh so close to being seriously subbed out for Amir in a playoff game. However, it wasn’t just him, but the rest of the team was laying a serious egg in the first half. The ghost of Etheridge, playing in his first game since Covid, wasn’t getting anything done down low, despite having Frank “Double-Double Machine” Mals on him. The Jet looked like he was on delay and Cavano, was getting his shit thrown around without even trying his reverse lay-up.

I started to eat my steak, thinking this was long over, but a couple bites in I realized the Ponies had stopped scoring as much and the Powerpuff Girls were making a run. The score was somehow 41-31 at halftime, which was pretty incredible, because the Ponies were up 20 at different points in the first half. The bad news for PPG was Taha got hurt and wouldn’t return. Now both teams were stuck with 4. BACK TO THE ACTION!

Before the Ponies knew what happened, the Powerpuff Girls took their first lead of the game at 51-50 with 9:20 remaining in the half. The Ponies were slowing down big time in the second half, with the burden to keep getting buckets starting to buckle the knees of Nestler and Civale. I didn’t think this team had a lot of depth coming into the season and I’m being proved right. Even with the resurgence of Mals as a double-double machine, these guys are lacking the firepower to hang in games. They’ll complain about Weinstein not being there, but he isn’t Luka. Besides that, Nestler, Civale and Mals might retire before he even gets back.

As for the Powerpuff Girls, they have a bunch of guys who just never relent on their team. Cavano, MacDonald and Jet just never stop hounding you for 40 minutes. MacDonald and Cavano starting turning into Steph/Klay during the second half. Both guys would hit 3 treys apiece, 4 on the game for MacDonald, which is a career high. Etheridge, came to life a bit as well, filling up the box score like the Etheridge of old. I’m sure he had trouble moving after this game, since he played the entire second half. These guys deserve a bunch of credit for fighting for their lives to get a win. 

You can find the play-by-play in the discord, but the summary is that this game went back and forth to the bitter end. Powerpuff Girls even got their lead to 6 before clutch Mals treys and an AND-1 brought the game back to the Ponies. However, the Powerpuff girls held on a 2-point lead, despite missing THREE 1-1a from the line. Those extra possessions to lead a bad Civale 3, a turnover and Maz, blowing the game winning lay-up. Maybe he was in shock that Civale would pass it? Tough loss for the Ponies. 68-66 Final

Grades

Jet C: I don’t know, I would have thought the Jet filled it up in a game like this. Where was my flying? 

Cavano A: He had a great statistical game and I think he changed defensive assignments during the first half that helped swing the game.

MacDonald A+: Never did I think I’d see the game where MacDonald hit four treys. 

Etheridge B+: He had some big boards, but I want more points, especially when he has good match-ups.

Tahahahaha A+: Heal up electric one. 

Ponies

Nestler B: He had a great statistical game, BUT BUT BUT who was he guarding in this game? Both Cavano and MacDonald outscored him. 

Mals A: The double-double machine is a friggin animal out there. 

Civale B: He played good, but I’ve seen better right in front of my face. 

Maz D+: They need more, I don’t care where he was drafted.

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

September 27, 2022
2:31 pm
Members

The Battle of Draft Picks goes to #1

I was looking forward to this game, even after the madness that occurred in my game. Ian’s Sutton Who? would take on Kap’s GOAT Shit 3: Amir’s Revenge in a battle of the first and second picks of the draft. Devan was out for Ian, while Kap and I continued to miss Joel. Which top pick would assert himself as the most dominant? TO THE ACTION!

I told Myer before the game, I was setting his line at 15 points as Spencer, was the perfect man to guard Myer in this league and I stand by that! It was a grind it our affair for both teams in this game, as they all struggled to score points against strong defensive counterparts. Myer, did have 8 first half points to tie for his team’s lead with Ghost. Speaking of Ghost, Ian baited him into taking a 3 in the first half. Come on Ghost, you know you only make shots when you step on the 3-point line for the long 2. Ghost, was 0 for 3 from deep in the first half, but this wouldn’t be the last we’ve seen of him!

On the other end of the floor, it was Clasby, who came into the gym with his sexy looking championship gear from 5v5. What a great sweatshirt, that he lost, that I now have in my possession. Anyways, Clasby mouse in the housed Kap in the post during the first half. Clasby, would lead all scores with 13 first half points and as a bonus, got Kap in foul trouble. I like this added aggression from Clasby, which his team is going to need if Spencer isn’t going to score like Ian thought he would.

Sutton Who? went into the half up 28-27 as it was clear how this game was going to be played. This was a classic playoff defensive struggle happening in the regular season, between two physical teams or maybe they just suck at scoring? Both teams combined to go 1 for 23 from three in the first half. WOOF! BACK TO THE ACTION!

Sutton Who? didn’t have much action in the second half as their inability to get anything from their #2 pick really showed in this half. Spencer, wouldn’t register a second half point, which ultimately led to this downfall. Sutton Who? would only manage 17 second half points. You have to give some credit to the other side, but mannnnnnnnnnnn that is some ugly offense. They have to do something to free Spencer up to score, if that’s in his game, which I’m starting to have some doubts about. I’m not sure I like him bringing up the ball either. What is Ian thinking out there? Maybe they need to start Cole? Something has to happen with this offense, because this was a shit show of ugliness.

Meanwhile, Kap and company brought things back to 2016, feeding Ghost over and over again. Manny, was yelling about his defense in week 1, but he didn’t live up to form in this one guarding Ghost. Ghost, was able to get free and splash jumpers all over the court. You can’t give Ghost any space when he gets hot, you need to be in his jersey and Manny just wasn’t getting there. Ghost would lead both teams with 14 second half points. He was giving his team the buckets that no one on Ian’s team was and that was the difference in this game. 

There was no late game troubles here as GOAT Shit put this one away cleanly. Impressive defensive performance without young Joel Shaffer in attendance. 58-46 Final

Grades

Kap B-: I’ve seen better Kap games, especially from deep where he was ice cold and Clasby had his way with him a bit in the post.

Myer B+: Myer, had a near triple-dub, but he wasn’t scoring with the ease he usually does. I will give credit for his good D and feeding Ghost though. 

Ghost A: Ghost is paid to score and that’s what he did. No need to shoot 3s though.

Silva C+: First half Silva comes through again, but where does this man go in the second half?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIR C: They need his 3s, but he did have some nice boards.

Sutton Who?

Spencer F+:  Time for some tough love, no buckets in two straight second halves sucks. They need him to score, especially in the second half.

Manny C-: Ghost outplayed him handedly, can’t have that. Manny, needs to dominate that match-up.

Ian Inc.: Ian hurt himself, so no grade here. He was playing pretty good before the injury and it impacted his second half.

Cole C: Brought some good energy, but really struggled from deep. I thought he had some good opportunities. 

Clasby B+: Another good showing from Clasby, but he struggled from deep, much like everyone else.

September 27, 2022
4:35 pm
Members

No Nate, means not so great

I thought this might be the most interesting game of the night, between Noah’s Drive and Kick against Twisted Ts and 3s, mostly because I wanted to see if Twisted Ts and 3s would come out strong after two disappointing weeks. Well, things don’t always go like you want them. Nate the Great and Court were out for their team, while Drive and Kick were missing Kodra. TO THE ACTION!

There was plenty of action, much to my dismay, to start this game. Masone, came flying out of the gate, scoring 15 first half points.  Looks like Leblanc was having trouble with Masone’s speed at his old age. Andre, played his best first half of the season, scoring 6 points with 7 rebounds. Andre, is a good for one of these burst of energy games where he grabs a bunch of boards. That’s something I love seeing out of a 6th man, just give me something great, some where and you’re doing your part. Unfortunately, this energy didn’t extend to the other end of the floor.

I’m sure I’ve said this before, but Twisted Ts and 3s are just outgunned on this end of the floor. They really only have two wing defenders and one of them, Tucker has to guard the best player, which leaves Court on everyone else and he isn’t here for this game. That meant Drive and Kick had a bunch of match-ups to look to. Harding had 15 first half points, Leblanc had 8, along with Noah and the “Great One” added 7 points for himself. With Tucker on Harding, that left the paint wide open for everyone else and some scary match-ups for Twisted Ts. Drive and Kick took full advantage in this half and the game, getting a bunch of open looks.

Drive and Kick went into the half up 38-34. I didn’t think they’d be able to keep up the pace, especially since Tucker didn’t seem to have the flow of this game, with only 5 first half points. BACK TO THE ACTION!

Unlike the game before them, Drive and Kick had no problem hitting 3s. They would hit 9 second half 3s, going an impressive 9 for 17 from deep in the second half. Noah, would go off, hitting 5 for 9 from deep in the second half. Harding and Leblanc were feeding treys to him on a silver platter. I mentioned before the season this wouldn’t the “sexiest” team, but they’ll get it done and they’ve been showing that. Harding, dominated on the boards, collecting 18 defensive rebounds and dished 6 assists. Leblanc, had 6 board and 7 assists. That’s a lot of great work for someone’s backcourt, even if this game didn’t feature many bigs. 

Twisted Ts and 3s did fight hard in this one. Tucker, finally came alive with a couple treys and buckets inside. I don’t think this “here take it and score” offense is doing him any favors. Hanks, got going a little bit, scoring 8 second half points. Masone, was pretty good too, scoring 11 second half points, with boards and assists. I was impressed with the fight they were showing, trying to push and move the ball. They just couldn’t get enough stops to make any dents in this game.

Drive and Kick cruised to a 79-69 win. The schedule makers didn’t do any favors for Twisted Ts and 3s, giving them the Stallions next week. Drive and Kick get the Powerpuff Girls. That could be a fun game.

Grades

Tucker B-: He played better in this game, against a tough opponent. Like I said I don’t think this team is the right one for him.

Masone C+: Masone was good too, although the defense needs to be better.

Hanks F: Got torched by Noah and then dared to take the pen to give himself an assist.

Andre A: This is about the best you can get from Andre. 

Drive and Kick

Harding A+: Very good game from Harding and he won his match-up convincingly.

Leblanc A-: About the same as Harding, just woth a lot less points.

Noah A+: This class is in peak form, all As. Noah won’t do better than this again.

The Great One A: 11 points for your 6th man? Love it. Didn’t need his clutch shooting this week.

Ian C+: He was ok in this one, got outshined by his teammates.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4464

HTD1223: 2879

docspauld: 2396

damruff: 2203

Mazz63: 1964