CoED 5v5 Winter 2022 Preseason Preview | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
CoED 5v5 Winter 2022 Preseason Preview
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
January 17, 2022
2:56 pm
Somerville
Admin
Forum Posts: 3285
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I expected to have this preview out earlier today, but the peloton’s siren call was impossible to resist this morning with the kids at my in-laws and the house quiet. After sweating my way through a power zone ride i was refreshed and ready to pump out this little preview for the league. Ok, I was also distracted by the Celtics disastrous start but now they’re up 15, a 33 point swing from when they trailed by 18. What the hell is going on with this squad? 

Anyway, hopefully you all are refreshed after the long off-season and ready to compete for the Winter 22 Co_Ed 5v5 title! Games are at the Bigelow School (42 Vernon St – Newton) for the second season in a row. At this time, masks are required while on the court. If anything changes on that front I will let you know. You’ll get me for the first couple of weeks of the season before #thirdbabytibbs enters the world in early February. We start Thursday the 20th, so let’s see what we’ve got going on in this league, shall we?!?

7 – Ball So Card – Not a lot of familiar names here so the team gets a giant shrug emoji from me. Welcome to the CAC! 

6 – Southie Buckets – Team captain Nicole Elbeery spent a season running up and down the court with the For franchise in the Fall 21 season. She was one of the team’s leading scorers during a frustrating 0-9 season so had decided to break away and put in a squad herself.  I can’t find out a whole lot about the squad with the google machine, but I don’t expect her to put in a squad that repeats last season. 

5 – BallHERS – Madison Ryan, Madeline Chudy, and Lucy Barrett are the only players on this team with former CAC experience, but they were part of the  OTR EYBL squad that won the Summer 21 Co-Ed 5v5 title. Championship experience goes a long way! So does having 1000 point high school scorer Kyle Lentini. Putting the ball in the hoop is important. The squad also sprinkles in some other former WPI athletes, not necessarily basketball players, but athletes, and that can go a long way in a coed league! 

4 – We Know Dis – Huge offseason moves for the We Know Dis Franchise as GM Kelsey Roberson and the team mutually agreed that it was time for her to step down from her leadership role. She’s still on the roster to bomb 3s, but Carlene Kluge has stepped into the power void and will lead the team going forward. Her first offseason move? She signed 2 out of the 3 Gallivan brothers, whose size and shooting ability are going to torture their opponents. I wouldn’t have signed Tim either if I were her, his ego is probably too great after his B1 MVP season in the Fall. Gotta keep that team chemistry at a league high. With the return of Matt Grumoli, the Walking Double-Double, I expect this team to finally make the playoffs in their third season in the league.

C.T. – What’s it mean? Courteous Ticklers? Challenging Temperature? Comfortable Touch? Coaching Technicals? Whatever the case, team captain Doug Horan brings over the core of his B2 5v5 team to the CoEd league to make a title run, but as is the case with most of the Co-Ed Champions in seasons past, how well their women play will go a long way to determining if they’re worthy to raise the trophy at season’s end. 

2 – Soup-A-Stars – Arpit’s squad was SO CLOSE to pulling off the upset and knocking off We Be Ballin’ in the finals last season. Are they going to have the Super Bowl hangover where the loser struggles the following season or are they going to shake it off (shake it off oh – oh oh !)? The roster looks a little incomplete to me right now. Fallon, Levitsky, Eckman, Carlson? Check Check Check Check. Free agent Lauren Sylvain was just signed and her scoring will be very helpful for the squad. But I don’t see league MVP Jordan DeRosby. That’s bad news for the club, right? I trust in Arpit to put not only a competitive team in the league, but a championship caliber one, so let’s see what he’s got up his sleeve when the season tips off.

1 – THONK – How can I not put the defending champs #1 overall to start the season? The entire team is returning and will have their personalized championship jerseys to commemorate the season by week 3. That’s got to strike some fear and envy in their opponents. Look, if you can’t stop the ladies, you have no chance of beating this team. Jane Thompson averaged 18 a night, Ashley Lutz 17,Caroline Beneville 7. If I had to guess, I’d say Rachel Mccarron, signed this offseason by Norton, is going to do some damage too. Oh she was a 1000 point scorer in high school? Great. Fantastic. Just awesome. You can’t run a zone against this team, you can’t leave a single woman open at the 3 point line, you’ve got to be locked in for a full 44 minutes. And even then, it might not be enough. Good luck knocking off the defending champs! 

Woohooo! updated signatures and avatars! Finally - edit your profile people - http://www.cacbasketball.com/d.....on/profile 

January 18, 2022
11:27 am
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Official petition to add GM of the year to the season end awards

January 20, 2022
10:07 am
Somerville
Admin

BIG NEWS before we start the season, Fall 2021 participant “Ballin'” has petitioned the league for a late entry waiver to join up and get us to 8 teams on the season. Since the League Offices have given it the stamp of approval, the schedule is being reworked starting in week 2. That means no BYE weeks, no DOUBLE HEADERS and game times moving to 6, 7, 8 & 9 PM! 

I’m very excited for this new development!

It is quite possible that the youtube live-stream will be back for the CoEd this seaosn. I’ll bring my set-up and see if the Newton Public School wifi can handle a little streamy stream. I’ll post the links on twitter, so follow me if you haven’t yet for some reason @cacbasketball

REMINDER: please wear masks 

6:30 PM C.T. vs THONK (-2.5)

This is easily the game of the week! Doug Horan and Travis Sinatro carved up the #B15v5East league in week 1 and will look to do the same against hte league favorite tonight. Kirk Chamenko will try to average more points than fouls in this league, but that’s not necessarily a given. As I mentioned in the preview, I think CT’s title chances hinge on the play of their women. THONK is the toughest week 1 test they could possibly have. 

7:30 PM Southie Buckets vs WeKnowDis (-9.5)

I’m excited to see this squad in action for the first time since the Summer 21 season! They’ve recruite some new guys, bye bye liam and demetri, hello Gallivans! This team is going to bomb 3s, cheer each other on and have a whole lot of fun. Will they win games? I don’t know! But I’m not sure how good Elbeery’s Southie Buckets squad is, so let’s give the vets an edge

8:30 PM Soup-A-Stars vs Ball So Card (+15.5)

Rough week 1 draw for Ball So Card. If the rooks thought they’d ease into the league they’ve got another thing coming. Aprit spent the offseason stewing over his finals loss in the Fall and is ready for his squad to take the league by storm. Free Agent signing Lauren Sylvain will help alleviate some of the offensive burden, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jordan DeRosby challenge Dale Michelson’s all-time CoEd scoring average of 37 ppg over the course of the season. What’s that, you didn’t know we have all-time stats? What kind of semi-pro operation do you think we are? We’re full time professionals! 

https://www.cacbasketball.com/coed-all-time-stats/

yes, i know they need to be updated, i’m working on it, we’re not highly PAID professionals 

Woohooo! updated signatures and avatars! Finally - edit your profile people - http://www.cacbasketball.com/d.....on/profile 

January 27, 2022
9:51 am
Somerville
Admin

#CoEd5v5 making big moves this week! 

We’ve added an 8th team, Ballin’, to the league, meaning we are full across the board in every.single.cac.league for the Winter 2022 season! That’s huge.

Also this week Wada King, aka Junior, is taking over as the coverage man for the season. Unfortunately Weitzer bailed from A 5v5 duty tonight so I’m moving over to ACEC, meaning no live tweets or stream 🙁 

That’s probably a good thing, ref Joe Harrison insinuated that i was 50 fucking years old last week. Seriously, we were talking about Lebron vs Jordan (Junior a Lebronstan), and Harrison, who is pushing 60 said ‘back in my day, Dr J was my guy, you remember him right?” Sir, I was THREE YEARS OLD the year Dr J retired. Do you know how insulting that was? I went home, looked in the mirror, grabbed some goop off the wife’s sink and just slathered it all over my face. Was it wrinkle cream? I DON’T EVEN KNOW. I was so shook. I’m never setting foot in the same gym as Joe again.

Man thinks I’m fucking 50

That turned on a dime, Let’s leave you with some lines before I jump on my 11 AM ride for the #PelotonDadsChallenge, yea?

Wait, fuck, maybe I really am 50…

6 PM WeKnowDis vs Soup-A-Stars (-5.5)
This line swings 10 points in the other direction if Jordan DeRosby isn’t in attendance for the second week in a row. We Know Dis showed some serious swag in their blowout last week. Adding that Gallivan brothers will solve the franchise’s rebounding woes. Seriously, they were as bad as the 2016 Celtics their first couple seasons in the league. I remember a particularly sweaty game at FiHO in the SUM21 season where Fallon and Chapin just got rebound after rebound after rebound. Arpit has somehow cut both from the Soup-A-Stars franchise and now it’s WeKnowDis with the size advantage!

How The Turntables GIFs | TenorImage Enlarger

7 PM BallHERS vs CT (-21.5)
I have absolutely NO IDEA what to expect from the BallHERS in their season debut. But Dougie Fresh dropped 43 points last week and looks like he wants to break all the coed records. Did you see we updated the All-Time Stats?? By early next season I expect some of the WeKnowDis and THONK players to be all over this page. Jane Thompson already is! https://www.cacbasketball.com/coed-all-time-stats/

8 PM Southie Buckets vs Ball So Card (-1.5) GAME OF THE WEEK
Both of these teams are looking to bounce back from week 1 blowouts and I like the depth and home court advantage that Ball So Card is going to bring to the table. There were times I was rattled last week and the team was down double digits all night! I’m just saying, get used to play in a loud atmosphere when you see ball So Card on the schedule. It’s not really hostile, they’re actually very encouraging of each other, but, you know, you’re not on their team, so it’s loud. 
I’m not sure who’s going to score consistently on the squad, but don’t put up too many points, the new guy will still be getting used to tracking everything. Now that I think about it, the Elsbeery / Lincoln pairing flashed more for me last week than any duo that Ball So Card put out there. But that’s becasue they ran 12 deep. Man I can’t believe how many points the home court advantage is worth in these line! 

9 PM THONK vs Ballin’ (+15.5)
Tyler Norton’s response to a new team joining the league? It wasn’t glee at trying to beat another squad on the way to the title (maybe because they’re 0-1* already)? No, it was simply complaining that his team now has 2 9 PM games during the season. Maybe his squad turns into pumpkins after 9:30 PM? Just a bunch of orange  fruit rolling around in the second half of the game tonight. They certainly don’t turn into Gremlins, that would be a good thing! 

I just went back and looked and saw that Ballin’ finished a very respectable 5-4 in their rookie season in the Fall. BUT (crab rangoons, things of that nature), I don’t see Huck Vaughn on the roster in the Winter now and I believe he was the MVP runner up last season. So yea, the rookies have big shoes to fill and this is NOT the game to try them on. You want them already broken in when you play a team like Thonk. Ah well, that schedule maker is a mean one.

An undefeated team has won the #CoEd5v5 league the past 2 seasons, so, sorry Thonk, try again in the Spring

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4455

HTD1223: 2817

docspauld: 2394

damruff: 2203

Mazz63: 1964