Spring 2022 B Draft Week Two Preview | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Spring 2022 B Draft Week Two Preview
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
May 11, 2022
8:57 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 92
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Welcome to week two of B Draft. Week one was a tough one for some teams, but thankfully it’s a long season and there is plenty of time to turn things around.

Amir Guys vs. Above the Rankings 6:15

To kick off the evening we’ve got a battle between two teams that have some big questions that need to be answered after their week one performances. For Amir Guys, things could not have gone worse. They scored only 34 points and looked lost on offense a lot of the time. Above the Rankings won a tight game against a severely understaffed Civale and also saw their first-round pick go down with a season ending injury. There are rumors Robel will be replacing Boghosian, but that isn’t confirmed as of yet.

The key for Amir Guys is figuring out their offense. Harry built his team around Richard Boghosian, drafting a pair of great complimentary players in Kap and Joel, but Richard didn’t seem like a true scorer this team so desperately needs. He was tentative attacking the rim and too often settled for mid-range jumpers. The ball also seemed to stop with him and when you look at the rest of the team there isn’t a clear point guard, so everyone is going to have initiate the offense to pick up the slack. Kap and Joel need to be more assertive and maybe we see Harry smash his break in case of emergency button and turn himself back into the point god that he was in Franchise week one.

For Above the Rankings, they need to figure out their team what their team looks like without Boghosian. Harding is a number one scorer and should be among the leaders in that area in the league, but I’m not sure they count on 15 a game from Xavier and 12 from Jamil. The addition of Robel will help, as will adding Raphael to the mix who missed week one.

The key match-up in this game is going to be Joel on Harding. Harding got pretty much any shot he wanted on Calvin last week who is of similar size to Joel. He’s really good at creating space and a willing shooter from everywhere. For Amir Guys to have any chance, Joel is going to have to keep Harding under 20 points, which isn’t something I’m sure he can do. Even if he does, Above the Ranking has a lot more depth and several other willing scorers, especially if they add Robel. With Robel and Martins down low and Xavier and Jamil on the wing/perimeter they can score in many different ways.

The pathway to points is a lot narrower for Amir Guys and for them to have any chance they need a lot more out of their big three. Richard did have 14 last week, but Joel, Kap and Harry combined for 11. That’s just not going to cut it with the way this roster is constructed.

As you can probably guess, I like Above the Rankings in this one. Harry will likely have some twist up his sleeve, whether it be zone on defense or a different matchup than I expect, but in the end I just don’t think they can score enough points.

Above the Ranking -6 over Amir Guys

Sam-I-Am vs Ghost Town 705p

I’ve taken the liberty of naming etheridges team, you’re welcome. Anyways, Ian’s team is coming off a huge win, where they stomped all over Nate’s teams “take what you want and don’t hurt us defense”. Things were a little tougher for etheridge’s squad, who were eaten alive by Weinstein. I like this matchup a bit more for them.

So, let’s head right to the main event match-up of Ini guarding Myer. Or at least Ini on defense guarding him. I don’t think Dwyer should be taking him on defense, because why waste his energy there? Ini is perfect to guard  Myer. He can handle the physical play like few can and he’ll match it the whole game. I feel safe saying Myer won’t have his usual dominance. That begs the question where Ian’s team will get its scoring?

I don’t see djordje having a bunch of second chances opportunities with Dwyer on him. That means his game will rest on the scoring opportunities of pollock. Weinstein killed this team last week and pollock could do the same. Of course that’s assuming he has the same aggression to score, which is always a question. Me thinks Ian, Silva and Packard are going to need some major contributions here. 

I like Ghost Town in this match-up. I think this game is tailor made for etheridge to come through with a big effort and I don’t see who’s guarding Ghost either. These guys really should be dominating their matchup and with Myer in a war with Ini for buckets/boards he won’t be able to bail his secondary teammates out. Despite where these teams are ranked I see Ghost town with some big edges.

Ghost Town -4 over Sam-I-Am

Civale vs motha lovers 755p game:

Give me a team name civale or I’m calling you guys the dumbest name I can think of. Motha loves are coming off the beat down of my team and I’m sure all their players went home to relieve themselves from the excitement of beating me. Civale’s team had a harder week 1, falling to Jamils squad.

If there’s one thing Koller is good at (and only one thing) it’s taking advantage of slow plotting bigs who don’t care about defense, which civale and hanks are. I expect him to be able to get his and create extra opportunities on the O-boards all game. This should open up Casey and Chas for extra looks, not to mention the numerous transition opportunities that will be there. 

Coming into the draft, outside of the 6’6 guy, I thought Masone was the most intriguing player of the draft. He was very high on my big board. He impressed the fuck out of me scoring on my box-1 defense in 5v5. Not an easy thing to do when I want you done scoring. I like him and Calvin together, especially against this team. I don’t know how Chas will match up, but one of them or both will be eating at a buffet. I suppose kodra could guard one, but that leaves someone small on Hanks or Civale. It’ll be interesting to see how Chas chooses to match-up. I like this kid Cameron defensively for Civale. He should be a useful piece for him going forward. I wonder if Civale will give him a crack at Koller. 

This game is going to come down to which guys can dominate their matchup the most. I think Masone is going to feast here, but I’m not sure it will be enough with Casey and Koller’s scoring. I could see Calvin going off too, but I’m not sold on the rest doing their part.

Motha lovers 2.5 over CIVALE

Rare Form vs. Noah 8:45

In the late game we should get the highly anticipated debut of Nick Lynch against Noah’s team who had a comfortable win over an understaffed Etheridge’s team. Lynch missed our team’s matchup last week, but if he’s in attendance we will get our first look at the D3 sensation. Lynch has some very impressive game tape from his college days and if he is playing anywhere close to that level, he is going to be a serious problem for the league.

Of all the teams in the league, however Noah’s is probably built the best to slow him down as they have four big bodies to throw at him. Nestler is one of the best defenders in the league and all though he doesn’t have the same size as Lynch, he’s effectively guarded bigger guys before. Manny might be undersized against Lynch also, but he is one of the strongest players in the league and I suspect will be up for the challenge as well. With those two, Noah has plenty of fouls to give and big bodies to throw at Lynch and get him off his game.

The rest of the matchups are just as interesting as Nate’s team is one of the smaller ones in the league with himself, Cavano and Rondell likely starting along with Lynch. That trio showed the ability to score last week, but really struggled defensively. Lynch will certainly help in that area, but one of them is going to have to take Manny or Nestler which is still a mismatch.

The x-factor for Noah’s team is going to have to be Weinstein he had 23 last week and if he is cooking really opens things up for the rest of the team. If he’s not, however Noah constructed a team that has plenty of other scoring with Manny, Nestler and Noah all in double digits in week one and Mals also is capable of chipping in on offense.

Without seeing how Lynch fits in with the rest of Rare Form it is tough to set a line, but assuming he is there Rare Form has to be the favorite. I think Noah’s team has enough to hang around, however and it will be a close game at the end that could go either way, but in the end I think Lynch will be too much for them to overcome.

Rare Form -4.5 over Noah

May 12, 2022
9:21 am
Members
Forum Posts: 1260

GAME DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GMOY and B draft CHAMPION, Shooter McGavins

May 12, 2022
10:00 am
Somerville
Members
Forum Posts: 62

I may be slow and plodding but I certainly do care about defense!! 

Great preview, Ian. Looking forward seeing how our squad plays with everyone there. I think we played pretty well last week considering we were down two starters. 

May 12, 2022
11:23 am
Members
Forum Posts: 897

If there’s one thing Koller is good at (and only one thing) it’s taking advantage of slow plotting bigs who don’t care about defense, which civale and hanks are.

Although Ian posted, this is part is unmistakably a Harry product, from the backhanded compliment to the not-so-sneaky motivation of my defenders!

Other thoughts:

• Harry’s team pretty much has nowhere to go but up after that first week. I expect Kap and Joel to naturally have better games, but they do have work to do in figuring out their offensive flow and how Rich fits in best. Not that I know him well, but seems like adding Robel would be kind of a big thing for Jamil’s team, so would probably favor Above the Rankings if that happens
  • Interesting matchups in game 2, but I lean towards Ian’s team – they should be able to match size decently, and have a little more offensive variety and transition ability.
  • Hope Lynch is an attendance for the last game, as Noah’s team at least has a bunch of bodies to throw at him to make things interesting. If I were Nate, I’d also be tempted to find a way to just keep Lynch anchored in the pain on defense to disrupt anything there
May 12, 2022
12:20 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 2817

bkoller297 said

If there’s one thing Koller is good at (and only one thing) it’s taking advantage of slow plotting bigs who don’t care about defense, which civale and hanks are.

Although Ian posted, this is part is unmistakably a Harry product, from the backhanded compliment to the not-so-sneaky motivation of my defenders!

Other thoughts:

• Harry’s team pretty much has nowhere to go but up after that first week. I expect Kap and Joel to naturally have better games, but they do have work to do in figuring out their offensive flow and how Rich fits in best. Not that I know him well, but seems like adding Robel would be kind of a big thing for Jamil’s team, so would probably favor Above the Rankings if that happens
    • Interesting matchups in game 2, but I lean towards Ian’s team – they should be able to match size decently, and have a little more offensive variety and transition ability.
    • Hope Lynch is an attendance for the last game, as Noah’s team at least has a bunch of bodies to throw at him to make things interesting. If I were Nate, I’d also be tempted to find a way to just keep Lynch anchored in the pain on defense to disrupt anything there

Yes. FYI. for everyone who can’t tell (And I’m not sure how you can’t). Ian and I do previews for our games, then a different one every week. It doesn’t matter who does the posting. 

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

May 12, 2022
1:58 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 114

Above the Rankings won a tight game against a severely understaffed Civale and also saw their first-round pick go down with a season ending injury. 

Pew! Pew! Pew!

F21 #5v5DraftWest Champs (Uni R-U), OPOY ||| 1T: F21 / 2T: W22, W22

May 13, 2022
1:16 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 92

Amir Guys topple Above the Rankings on Joel buzzer beater

Coming into this game, Amir Guys looked in big trouble. They only had four players and their two highest scorers in week one, Boghosian and Maz, were out. Above the Rankings were also missing two players as well, Robel and Martins, but they did have a replacement player in Andre Jones as a sub. To the action!

Since he was understaffed, Harry came out in a zone in order to conserve some energy. The first few minutes were a feeling out period as both teams struggled on offense. Amir Guys, eventually struck first with Kap knocking down a few shots and Harry taking advantage in the post with some good finishes. For Above the Rankings, they had Harding and Xavier leading the way. Xavier was able to get to the rim whenever he wanted, while Harding was showing off his all-around game. Those two scoring wasn’t enough, however, as Amir Guys consistently took advantage of the lack of size for Above the Rankings. As a result, Above the Rankings found themselves down 5-8 points for the majority of the half.

Amir Guys were playing really hard and really moving the ball on offense, a drastic shift from what we saw last week. At halftime, Amir Guys found themselves up 33-27. That scoring output was one point less than they scored all last week, so to say their offense looked better is an understatement. Both Joel and Kap had 13 points at half to lead the way, while Harding led the way for Above the Rankings with 13.

The second half got started with Above the Rankings coming out with significantly more energy. Harding clearly decided he had had enough and after a few minutes had cut the lead to 1 after an and one. Amir Guys wouldn’t let the lead slip away yet, however, as Kap would have a nice finish at the rim and Amir would hit a three to push the lead back to nine at 45-36 with just under ten minutes left. You could tell Amir Guys was getting tired though and no possession exemplified it more than when they allowed Xavier to get three offensive rebounds on the same possession before scoring on a put back. Their pace was slowing and the ball wasn’t moving as crisply as the first half. Kap would hit a big three to slow down an Above the Rankings run, but Harding was taking over and things were getting dicey.

A double-digit lead was quickly down to four at 50-46 after a great pass from Jamil to Xavier and after a pair of free throws from Harding and after a big block from Andre on an Amir three, Harding got out and scored in transition to tie things up at 50. Amir Guys were reeling at this point and Harding would knock down a three on the next possession giving Above the Rankings their first lead since the early part of the game. Harding made another shot after that to push the lead to five, capping off a personal 9-0 run for him.

At this point, I thought Amir Guys had put up a valiant effort, but were paying the price for having only four players. Joel and Kap had other ideas, however, and after a Joel three and a pair of Kap free throws we were tied again at 55 with under two minutes left. Xavier., who played a great all around game scoring 18 points with eight rebounds and three assists, would give Above the Rankings the lead again, but big shot Joel had an answer tying things up at 57. With Amir Guys now playing a triangle and one on Harding, he was able to get some room and made a great cut to the hoop making the basket and getting fouled pushing the score to 59-57 with less than 30 seconds left. He would miss the free throw, however, giving Amir Guys a chance to tie.

On the rebound, Kap pushed the ball up the floor and looked to drive, but Jamil got a hand in, knocking the ball to Xavier for a steal. Amir Guys would commit a foul with 20 seconds left so we went to shoot one and one. That first free throw was never attempted, however, as Harry realized Andre was leaning hard up against him and fell forcing KD to have to call a violation and give the ball back to Amir Guys with another chance to tie or take the lead. Kap brought the ball up and after some good defense passed it to Joel who pump faked his defender. Amir was wide open to his left and for a second I thought we might get an Amir game winner, but Joel liked has chances and took a three of his own, knocking it down with 1.6 seconds left. Amir Guys somehow were now winning again 60-59! Above the Rankings had time for one last shot and Harding did get off a good look from three but he just missed it and Amir Guys pulled out the win in a thrilling game!

Amir Guys

Team Grade A: After last weeks effort resulted in a team F, I have to give them all A’s for this week. To win that game with only four players is very impressive and Kap and Joel both put up the type of performances we came to expect from them several years ago with Joel going for 27 and Kap 21/7/7.

Above the Rankings

Harding A-: Great game from Harding who led his team on offense, but missed a key free throw down the stretch and I thought he got a little passive at times that caused the offense to stagnate.

Xavier A: Can’t ask for much more from your fifth pick who put up 18/8/3 steals and was the clear second scoring option after Harding.

Jamil C: Rough game from Jamil on offense when his team needed to him score. Didn’t have his three point shot working and struggled to finish at the rim also. Good defense and five assists kept this grade from being even lower.

Marlier C: Hit the glass hard and had a nice bucket, but could have used a little more given the lack of size on the court for his team.

May 13, 2022
3:26 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 114

Kap brought the ball up and after some good defense passed it to Joel who pump faked his defender. Amir was wide open to his left and for a second I thought we might get an Amir game winner, but Joel liked has chances and took a three of his own, knocking it down with 1.6 seconds left. Amir Guys somehow were now winning again 60-59! Above the Rankings had time for one last shot and Harding did get off a good look from three but he just missed it and Amir Guys pulled out the win in a thrilling game!

What a crushing loss. WE HAD THEM RIGHT WHERE WE WANTED THEM. But Joel decided to save his best for last and after going 0-4 from deep hit 2 threes during winning time…and smoked me on that pump fake. He wasn’t about that OT life. Absolute GOURDS.

F21 #5v5DraftWest Champs (Uni R-U), OPOY ||| 1T: F21 / 2T: W22, W22

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4455

HTD1223: 2817

docspauld: 2394

damruff: 2203