Spring B-Draft 2022 Week 9 Preview and Lines | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Spring B-Draft 2022 Week 9 Preview and Lines
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 6, 2022
11:27 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 2879
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We’ve reached the week in the season that everyone wanted to avoid for playoff purposes, so instead it will be our week 9. Attendance, probably won’t be any good this week, but I’ll be there for you bums anyways. 

Let’s talk playoff scenarios, shall we?

1 Seed: Motha Lovers are the 1 seed as of now, holding the tiebreaker over Sam-I-am. They also hold tiebreakers over Above the Rankings and Letalien Calsone. Safe to say, they’ll be the 1 seed.

2 Seed: Sam-I-am needs a win to clinch the 2 seed or an Above the Rankings loss. Above the Rankings needs a win and Sam-I-am loss to capture the second seed.

3 Seed: The winner of the Letalien Calsone and Above the Rankings game will clinch the third seed, with only Above the Rankings having the ability to move up to the second seed.

4 seed: Whoever is the loser of the LC and ATR game. 

5 Seed:  This is pretty certainly going to be Size Matters, unless someone thinks they have some sort of edge on this team. 

8 Seed: I could make a pretty educated guess for this one, but ya never know. Everything else is up in the air. TO THE LINES!

Fly Jet Fly vs Size Matters 6:15p Game:

This is the nothing means anything to anyone game of the week. Although, I suppose Nestler could make a case for MVP of this league. LOLOL white America. Anyways, Fly Jet Fly has spent the season with bad attendance and we spent 7 weeks trying to locate Frank Mals, so who knows which team will have who this week?

The match-up I’ll be most looking forward to is Dwyer against Nestler. Dwyer, missed their first meeting of the season, while Nestler put up a 17-11-8. This is will be a good match-up for Dwyer to test himself on. He’s struggled in these kind of match-ups in the past. Nestler, is a tough, tall physical defender, who can guard you all over the court. Dwyer, is going to have to figure out to free himself and get buckets. I want to see if he has the mental toughness to hang in this game and give his team a chance to win.

Another guy I’d like to see come alive is trick or treat Kenny. Let’s just be real here, this kid isn’t that bad. His 3-point numbers are incredibly bad, like how do you shoot %5 from three? That’s almost impossible. Also, I remember that he use to drive to the cup every once in a while. Let’s go Kenny, I want to see some aggression. You can’t go further down from 5%, so you got nothing to lose. You aren’t this bad at basketball. 

As for Size Matters, no one is going to want to deal with this team fully staffed come playoff time. The question is if they’ll be fully staffed. I think they’ll be favorites in round 1 though and they probably should be. They have a tough big 3 to deal with it, especially now that Nestler is free from the Billy Jackson handcuffs. 

Size Matters -9.5 over Fly Jet Fly

7:05 PM Letalien Calsone vs. Above the Rankings (Ian)

In the early primetime slot we’ve got a big game for seeding purposes with the third and fourth ranked teams squaring off. Both teams will want to grab that third seed so they can pick one of the bottom three teams to be their opponent in the first round, so assuming full attendance (has been a problem for both teams this year) we should be in for a good game.

Above the Rankings is currently on a three-game winning streak, but all those wins came against teams in the bottom half of the table. This is their chance to show that wasn’t a fluke against a top half team who would be even higher in the rankings if not for attendance issues the past two weeks. I assume Harding will be back for this one and for Above the Rankings to have a chance they will need him. Without him, their offense was a little slow last week and relied on big games from the secondary players which you can’t count on consistently. He’ll have his hands full in this one though with Letalien able to throw a variety of different players at him who are all solid defenders. Beyond Harding, Above the Rankings has been getting good contributions from Jamil, Xavier and Robel. Robel especially will be important in this matchup with a big man battle down low with Hanks. Xavier is the x-factor to me as he presents a matchup problem for Above the Rankings. Civale will likely be guarding him and Brian is very good in the post but can struggle with quicker players who can take him off the dribble. Xavier has shown himself to be solid off the dribble when he gets going at the three-point line, so he could be in for a big game. On the flip side, Above the Rankings doesn’t have a great matchup for Civale on defense when they deploy the Robel, Xaiver, Jamil and Harding lineup. Raphael is the best option to defend him, but when he’s in their offense struggles some, especially when he’s playing with Robel.

Letalien Calsone is on a two-game losing streak, but that is deceptive as they were missing key contributors in both games. If they have their full squad back then they match up well with Above the Rankings. Hanks and Civale have the size to slow down Robel and Calvin has the length to bother Harding. I also suspect we will see Tyler guard Harding at times where his quickness and defensive instincts might be able to slow Harding down. The defensive game plan is pretty straightforward for them, if they slow down Harding they will win the game. On offense, Letalien Calsone is at their best when they are moving the ball around and not settling for isolation jump shots. Calvin and Civale have both shot inconsistently from three and given the volume they have been shooting threes at, that can get problematic if they are off. I’d like to see those two driving to the hoop more, but with Robel guarding the point that could be tough. I think the x-factor on offense is Tyler. He’s played against Jamil and Robel led teams before and has the quickness and finishing ability to have a big game even against a team with more size. If he can get going, it will open things up for Calvin and Civale and if they then are hitting shots, Above the Rankings will be in trouble.

Overall, I think this is a pretty even match up with a case to be made for both teams to win. Assuming full attendance, I think the trio of Calvin, Tyler and Civale will be able to overcome Harding and co and pull out the win. 

Letalien Calsone -2.5 over Above the Rankings

7:45 PM Amir Guys vs. Motha Lovers (Ian)

In the second primetime slot we have a rematch of one of the worst performances I’ve ever witnessed in my time in B Draft. Back in week one, these two teams met and Amir Guys scored only 34 points and almost got doubled up. It turns out that was a prelude of things to come as right now the teams find themselves on opposite ends of the spectrum with Motha Lovers battling for the one seed and Amir Guys locked into the bottom three.

Amir Guys has shown signs of life of late, but unfortunately both Rich and Joel are out this week so it might get ugly. Rich has been solid the last two weeks dropping 35/18 and 20/21 respectively and Joel dropped 18 last week so missing those two is massive. With them out we get 40 minutes of Kap, Harry and Amir plus a likely fill in given Maz hasn’t played since the first few weeks. That trio is going to have their hands full as Chas doesn’t let his team let up and will want to run the score up like he did last week. To even keep things close, Kap will need to go off, something he can do, but hasn’t this season yet. Amir will also need to be automatic from three and Harry will need to also be shooting well. The odds of all those things happening at once are low, so offensively it could be a struggle for Amir Guys. On defense, I would guess Harry will just play zone and hope Motha Lovers are missing jump shots. That’s something that could keep it close for a bit, but I’m not sure is sustainable over 40 minutes. 

For Motha Lovers, assuming they have full attendance they are in good shape. They will have some big mismatches to exploit like they were able to last week with Chas going off for 36 and they should be able to kill Amir Guys on the boards with Koller, Motha, Kodra and Casey all crashing. As long as they can figure out a zone, if Harry chooses to go that route, then they should have no issues scoring at all. On defense as long as they stay close to Kap and don’t let him get hot, I’m not sure Amir Guys can score enough to keep this close. Koller will like his chances against post Harry and Casey will be able to float off whoever the fill in is. 

As you can probably guess based on the preview I don’t think this game will be competitive at all. With full attendance it would have been interesting to see what Harry had in store for Motha Lovers, but missing his top two scorers and best defenders is too much to overcome. Motha Lovers should jump out early and win comfortable, the only question is will they top their previous margin of victory at 30.

Motha Lovers -24.5 over Amir Guys

Rare Form vs. Sam-I-am 845p game:

This game could end up deciding the 1 seed, 2 seed or 3rd seed by the time it gets played. Myer, will be out for Ian’s squad in this game, but Rare Form will be missing Cavano. This game doesn’t really mean anything to Rare Form, but Ian’s team will want to win this game to gain more control of their first round fate. 

With Cavano out, that means Rare Form will only have four guys, which has been a terrible thing for this team all season. Cavano, having been their best and more consistent player being out isn’t going to help things. Nate the great, was awesome last week in defeat, scoring 30 plus points. It’s going to be asking a lot for him to do that again, especially since Pollock will most likely be guarding him. That means Howard, Glynn and Eloi are going to have to do their part. If I were Howard, I would be trying to score every play, but that’s not his thing. Eloi and Glynn aren’t high volume shooters either. Someone has to step up though, step up or get stepped on.

Sam-I-am shouldn’t have much of a problem filling the Myer void this week. Djordje, has had a great season and this profiles as a typical great Djordje game, with missed lay-ups and put-backs. If he tries another dunk and fails though, he’s ineligible for any awards at the end of the season. Pollock, should be able to thrive in this game as well. I suspect Howard will be on Djordje or maybe Eloi, but I think Nate will have to guard Pollock. This also feels like a good Packard and Ian game from deep.

I think I sum this game up quite nicely into lots of good feelings for one side and not so great feelings on the other side. I hope Rare Form shocks the damn world, but I’m not sure how that happens. Sam-I-am just has them covered in every facet of the game.

Sam-I-am -25.5 over Rare Form

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

July 7, 2022
8:51 am
Members
Forum Posts: 706

Appreciate the post !

yes Rare form is hurting again and will need a sub ‍♂️

anyone available for 8:45 ? Email or tweet 

Curry Wade Jaylen Tatum Simmons Lamelo Irving Embiid Giannis Luka Harden Morant ice Trae 

July 7, 2022
9:17 am
Members
Forum Posts: 906

Whew, first lines I can remember with multiple games’ spreads over 20. Game 2 seems to be the one to watch tonight. Most evenly matched, and they should have plenty of motivation considering that the winner looks like they’ll have a much more favorable first round matchup.

In general, there haven’t been a lot of matchups between the top teams fully staffed, so doesn’t seem like there are any firm conclusions about favorites going into the playoffs. 

July 11, 2022
4:57 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 100

Motha Lovers win closer than expected game over Amir Guys
Coming into this game I had very low expectations. Motha Lovers won the previous matchup by 30 points and in this one, Amir Guys was missing Rich and Joel who combined for 66% of their points in the first matchup. Thankfully Chas was kind with his replacement and let Pollock fill in, but even with that addition, I figured Casey, Koller and co would win comfortably. To the action!

The start of the game was very slow. Both teams were struggling to score and there were a lot of errant shots being put up. Motha Lovers would get on the board first with a pair of threes, but Amir Guys was playing good defense and eventually got on the board as well after some good passing. Eight minutes in it was 11-10 Amir Guys, but then Taha entered giving the game some much needed energy. Kodra and Taha would hit back to back threes and Taha would add another bucket to push the lead to 20-11. Things were starting to go as expected and I thought it was only a matter of time before Motha Lovers broke things open. Of course, right after I thought that, Amir Guys would hit back to back threes from Kap and Harry to make it a 20-17 game. Koller would get going as we approached the end of the half as he led the way for Motha Lovers with 14 first half points. He had some nice moves in the post to get by Harry and confidently exclaimed it is “too easy to blow by Harry.” That confidence from Koller seemed warranted as his team was in good shape heading into halftime with a 41-29 lead. It was a two man show for Amir Guys with Kap dropping 14 first half points and Sam 10. Motha Lovers’ scoring was far more balanced with Casey chipping in nine, Kodra six and Taha and Chas with five.

With Motha Lovers lead at 12 at the start of the second half, it seemed once again we were on the precipice of a blowout. Kap had other ideas going on a quick 5-0 run to bring the lead back to eight, but Motha Lovers would answer to push the lead back up 16. Amir would knock down a deep three on the next possession dropping it to 13, but Taha would go on a run of his own Knocking down a pair of threes and make some great passes. Amir Guys would answer that run with Kap knocking down a three and three-point Harry making his second appearance of the game. Pollock also would finally start hitting some jump shots and all of a sudden it was a seven point game with six minutes left. In the next few minutes the lead would narrow even more and after a cap three it was 69-65. That was as close as Amir Guys would get though as Casey would make a layup and got fouled on the next possession. After making the free throw he pushed the lead back to seven and from there, Motha Lovers would hit their free throws. Final score 74-66 Motha Lovers.

Motha Lovers
Casey B+: Balanced game from Casey who always seemed to be in the right spot to knock down a shot when his team needed and he also crushed it on the offensive boards.

Koller A-: Solid performance from Koller who took advantage of the lack of size for Amir Guys to great affect. Dominated the glass with 16 rebounds and led the team in scoring also.

Taha A: Great game from Taha who’s quickness and energy changed the game and allowed Motha Lovers to pull away when he was in.

Kodra B-: Nice defensive performance, but still wish he’d shoot more.

Chas C-: Rough game from Chas who smartly sat for long portions when Taha was playing well.

Amir Guys
Kap A: Throwback performance with 30/9/5. Kept his team in it with his scoring, especially in the second half.

Harry A-: Nice game from Harry who showed off his range for the first time in a few weeks, knocking down two threes.

Amir B: Rough game shooting from Amir, but did everything else well.

July 12, 2022
4:11 pm
Members

Size Matters use jet to soar into playoffs

This was our first and only meaningless game of the evening, as Etheridge’s Fly jet Fly, took on Noah’s Size Matters. It’s been a long week and I’m tired, so this going to be short. TO THE ACTION!

My only note from the game is that Noah sucked, so I will gladly talk about that part of the game. Noah, went 2 for 7 from 3, which somehow better than he went attempting to make lay-ups. I’ll give him a point for trying a righty lay-up though. The story of this game for Size Matters, was their story for the entire season and that was Nestler’s domination. Nestler, spent the last couple of seasons trying to lie to me about his ability to score, but is going to end this season scoring 20ppg. He had four 3s this game, to go along with a hefty contribution in all other facets of the game. Mike and Manny also did their thing as his sidekicks. Their attendance is going to be come playoff time, I feel safe saying these guys haven’t lost a game when they’ve had everyone, so MATH PEOPLE! 

The other side of the floor was the usual for Fly Jet Fly. A bunch of disappointing performances, surrounded by Etheridge and his small improvements from week to week. I wanted to see the Dwyer-Nestler match-up and it wasn’t the fireworks I was hoping for. Nestler won the match-up convincingly. I noticed a little extra effort from Dwyer defensively, but I’d like to see him in a defensive stance and use his length/physicality to both people. Nestler, did what he wanted out there. I don’t have high hopes here, because I don’t think they can unlock each other’s potential.

Grades:

Jet B-: Not a great Jet stat game, but I do remember him flying and he did draw fouls on Weinstein.

Etheridge B+: Now we’re getting back to normal here. One step at a time.

Ghost C: If Ghost isn’t scoring, he isn’t contributing. Although, he did have two steals, which is probably a career high.

Kenny B-: I’m declaring the old Kenny dead, 4:07 time of death. New Kenny got some buckets and was good on the boards.

Dwyer C+: I’m left wanting more, starting with a defensive stance and defensive physicality.

SM

Noah D: He sucked, my note said so.

Manny B+: I like this as his new normal and he was extra saucy out there too, which scared me…..but also excited me……

Nestler A: Won his match-up, contributed every where on the stat sheet and in the game.

Weinstein B: No complaints here, except for his fouling of Jet. Don’t hurt the Jet.

Mals A: I feel like Mals hitting two 3s should be an A and it will be from now on.

Giles C: I need a bucket, had some good effort plays though.

5v5 Draft W22 Champs "Eagle Fang"......5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

July 12, 2022
9:36 pm
Members

Who needs a Myer when you have a Cundall?

The last game of the evening had the second seed on the line as Sam-I-am took on Rare Form. Myer was out for Sam-I-am, which opened the door for upset rumors and that door was closed when Cavano was ruled out for his team. Then the door was pad locked when Rare Form started the game with two guys actually on their team. Eventually Howard would show up to pair with super sub Andre Jones, Nate and Eloi. TO THE ACTION!

The action proceeded like everyone would have expected it to, with Sam-I-am handing out a beating of Rare Form. Ian turned into Dennis Rodman on the boards and stole the point guard reigns away from Pollock to turn into John Stockton dropping dimes. Ian, had 15 first half rebounds and 8 first half assists. Apparently, Myer has been holding him down and hogging all the statistical glory for himself. Everyone else was feasting too with Pollock and Silva getting 3 first half assists, along with 5 rebounds. Djordje, led the team with 18 first half points as well. 

Rare form once again found themselves in a gun fight with a knife. Nate the great did his best in the second half to bring this game back to life and he nearly did! Nate had 19 second half points, dropping bombs in Pollock’s face. Eloi wasn’t bad either, he had 17 points in the game, which is more than you could ask for from him. They just don’t have the firepower to hang around though and it stinks, especially when you’re getting big efforts from certain guys. This game definitely ended closer than it should have due to Nate and Eloi’s efforts. 

Grades

Ian A+: He did miss his 3s, but this has to be an A+. This the kind of production we expect from Myer.

Pollock C+Good production, but got overshadowed by Ian and Nate. Also a minus for sassing me. 

Silva B: This was a very solid Silva game.

Djordje B+: Did something I didn’t like, but I can’t remember now. Also, stats were very good. 

RARE Form

Nate A+: I mean, what do you want from the guy? 

Eloi A: He missed a lot of threes, but they need him to be aggressive. They need points! 

Andre B: He might as well just be on this team. I just want him to shoot more. That’s it, get shots up.

Howard C: Just can’t connect from deep, they needed his points

July 12, 2022
11:00 pm
Members

Above the rankings jump Letalien Calsone

I had to leave this game for a video meeting call, so I didn’t see this game, but as your King, I will grant you a write-up based on the box score. LC, was missing Hanks and Pan. Above the Rankings was missing Raphael. TO MY THOUGHTS!

I had high expectations for Masone coming into this league after a few weeks and a lot of absences, he hasn’t lived up to it. It looks like he was locked up all game here and couldn’t connect from the line. Maybe he’s struggling to play with ball dominant Civale and Calvin? However, Calvin was on his team last season in 5v5? And Civale doesn’t seem to be hurting his teammates in other leagues. What’s going on here?

As for the other guys, looks like Harding dominated and from what I saw, that was the case. Robel, looks like he had a good too. That’s two in a row for the big dog. A good sign for this team come playoff time. This game could have given them the second seed, but they were saved by Ian’s team later on, because they probably choose my team and they lose that team. They have a good shot against Fly Jet Fly, especially with the way they played them last season.

Outlooks

Something is wrong with Letalien Calsone and that something is Masone. Their playoff outlook isn’t looking that great, since they have to play Size Matters. Not a great match-up for them, but they can compete. Playoffs are a new day and they can turn it around with one win.

Above the Rankings is one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs. They are the under the radar dark horse.

July 13, 2022
1:48 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 132

I had to leave this game for a video meeting call, so I didn’t see this game, but as your King, I will grant you a write-up based on the box score. 

We are not worthy…

I had high expectations for Masone coming into this league after a few weeks and a lot of absences, he hasn’t lived up to it. It looks like he was locked up all game here and couldn’t connect from the line….What’s going on here?

Leagues number 1 defense baby!!

Above the Rankings is one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs. They are the under the radar dark horse.  

Shhhhh!

5   -   3   -   0

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4464

HTD1223: 2879

docspauld: 2396