THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FRANCHISE LEAGUE WEEK 4 W2020 PREVIEW | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FRANCHISE LEAGUE WEEK 4 W2020 PREVIEW
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
February 10, 2020
12:21 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 2487
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Week 4 is somehow already here, even though I feel like it's been a slow journey so far. Nonetheless, the schedule doesn't lie! Special Announcement, I won't be covering any games in week 5. I've designated that as my week off, so I'd suggest you guys take a look at the week 5 schedule and see who's playing above/below you that week to get your game covered. I will tell Tibbs as well, but if you want to spin the roulette wheel there, then God bless you. I'll text some people too. to see who can help out, but after my game, which is the first that week, I'm leaving. 

Now that we got that out of the way, TO THE LINES!

Hair Club for Men vs. Junk Yard Dogs 6:15p Game:

We start week 4 with a dozy, as the HCFM take on the Junk Yard Dogs. Two teams that will probably finish in the upper half of the standings, in what looks like an evenly matched up game. JYD is coming off a slaughtering of the Nimrods and HCFM is coming off a sleepy loss to the Mambas. 

Unlike most teams I think HCFM matches up quite well with JYD on both ends of the floor. Cawley/Walker can match up fine with Lerner/Tits. Though, it will be interesting to see who Cawley decides to take in that match-up. I think Walker would be a little better on Lerner, he can replicate what Buckley did to Lerner in the playoffs last season. Then they can put Jacque on Chad, then Gans on whoever is the 4th this week. 

On the other end of the floor, JYD might have trouble matching up with Gans. I think their 4th guy is going to get the assignment there, which means they'll be chasing Gans all over the court and extending themselves deep past the 3-point line to contest Gans shot. They'll also be dealing with Walker screens, which Gans says are the best in the league. Even though Gans scored a career high and shot a career high from 3 with me screening for him a whole season, but I digress. I think Gans will have a big game, unless he pukes all over himself with turnovers.

I like HCFM to in this game. I think they have a lot of answers for what JYD can do on both ends of the floor and can adjust when they need to. I don't see Chad performing as well offensively with Thomas Kahana not guarding him in this game. For JYD they're going to need a big night from Tits from deep and I'm not sure he has it in him. Give me HCFM to win, on a big Gans shooting night. 

Hair Club for Men -4 over Junk Yard Dogs

Axis Powers vs. Basket Cases 7:05p Game:

The second game of the evening is Hof taking on his old team from last season. The Axis Powers took a tough loss in OT last week, while BC picked up their free win against FRT. I think we'll be in for a good one here. 

The story of this week and every damn week, will be BC's shooting problems. Last week wasn't an issue, because they could overwhelm the other team inside, but this week is going to be a big problem. The Axis Powers have big Ed and Djordje down low to counter the Koller/Pendergast combo, assuming Buckley is still out and I'll bet he is. It isn't going be easy for BC to get their usually amount of hoops down with the other team having the size to match it. Hof teams don't play much defense, but they might not have to in this game. The rim will be their best defender against BC. 

On the other end of the floor, Pendergast will be on Hof and this match-up has been pretty one sided in the past. Pendergast doesn't quite know how to use his athleticism and length to slow down Hof. I'd also wonder how they'll match up with Ed and Djordje. Either Ian or Drew will have to guard a big, unless they have Drew guard Hof. Whatever they decide will be crucial, because the Axis Powers might have a mismatch, at least until the bench comes in.

I like the Axis Powers in this game. Hof is going to get his points and I don't know where BC is going to get theirs from. They are going to need Pendergast, Drew or someone to make 3s in this game. The paint is going to be crowded, so they're either going to make 3s or they're going to get run out of the gym. No one has shown they can make any, so Axis Powers to win by a mile.

Axis Powers -6.5 over Basket Cases

A Young 35 vs. the Grey Mambas 7:55p Game:

The two hottest teams in the league colliding in our TNT game of the night. The Grey Mambas coming off a good win against HCFM, while AY35 took down the Axis Powers in an OT thriller to close week 3. Let's take a look at how these teams match-up.

This is one of our favorite cases, the big team vs. small team match-up. AY35 is a team full of guards and one forward, who is playing their big. Mambas have one guard and two bigs, then Frank. The question for AY35 is going to start with MacDonald, who is he covering? I don't think it can be Paul, unless they're going to put Chas on Frank. I think they're going to have to roll the dice with Chas on rookie Paul, then have MacDonald cover Bully and stick Carlo on Kerk. 

For the Mambas, someone has to cover Casey and the only one capable of that is Paul, so we start there. The next question is who covers MacDonald/Chas. Frank is going to have to cover one of them. My guess would be Chas, which will be very interesting. The Bully on MacDonald isn't an ideal match-up for them either, because the Bully will have to work hard defense all game and in transition. MacDonald is going to be looking to get out on the break all game long off rebounds. 

With all that being said, I don't like this match-up for the Mambas at all. They have the size advantage, but MacDonald/Carlo stand a better chance of holding their own in the paint then Frank or Bully/Kerk do of slowing down fast breaks. If the Mambas can seize control of the pace throughout this game, they have a chance, but AY35 is going to be running all game and I don't see how the Mambas can catch them. I also can't wait to see the Paul/Casey match-up after the rookie auction draft.

AY35 -7 over the Grey Mambas

Farewell/Revenge Tour vs the Fightin' Nimrods 8:45p Game:

After three games sitting at the scorer's table, we finally get to my game. FRT had a competitive loss last week against BC, where they finally got everyone to make it to a game. The Nimrods got slaughtered by the Junk Yard Dogs, without our captain, who may or may not still play in this league. Maybe, he's available this week? No word yet!

The biggest problem for FRT this week, is the same problem they have every week. They don't really have anyone who can guard the team's leading scorer, in this case, it's Talbot. They could always throw the Jet at him, but I think he'll be on Old man Kahana. It might make more sense for them to have Jet on Talbot, since he struggles with Kahana anyways. Then PIZZA or Civale will have to guard Cavano, that isn't too great, especially if they don't know his secret like I do. The good news for them is that I could see Civale having a big game in this one, but it's going to have to be a BIG ONE.

For my Nimrods, it's going to come down to our execution. We might be the worst team in the world to back in games we should win by a lot in. We had one in week 2 and almost blew it. We actually should have lost, but got bailed out. We need to execute for 40 minutes here, on both ends of the floor. We have some good match-ups offensively and the defense should be able to hold up nicely (even with Kahana in).

I have us winning this game by a lot, but if I was a betting man I'd take the points. Also, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIR!

Fightin' Nimrods -10.5 over Farewell/Revenge Tour 

Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

February 10, 2020
12:31 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 99

Thanks for the early preview Harry, will get a chance to fully take a look later. For week 5 I can cover JYD vs Farewell tour.

February 10, 2020
3:12 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 863

The paint is going to be crowded, so they're either going to make 3s or they're going to get run out of the gym. No one has shown they can make any, so Axis Powers to win by a mile.

I think this is overstating our potential scoring challenges a bit. I think we're getting better at managing our spacing and creating opportunities, and also Cawley's squad (our worst game to date) is a worse defensive matchup for us than Axis Powers. Obviously offense/defense challenges are related since you need to keep up with the other team, but it seems like the bigger challenge for us will be slowing down Hof and Bernstein, especially given Bernstein balling out lately. 

Either Ian or Drew will have to guard a big, unless they have Drew guard Hof. Whatever they decide will be crucial, because the Axis Powers might have a mismatch, at least until the bench comes in.

Not sure I agree with this. Is Axis Powers really gonna try and run their offense through an Ian vs. Djordje matchup or something? In other news, Buckley will be out for quite a while, and our other rookie is out for another week or two. 

Games 1 and 3 also look good. Interested to see Grey Mambas and HCFM, both in challenging matchups, trying to keep momentum and bounce back, respectively. Hope JYD is at full attendance, because that should be good. I'll say that HCFM uses their size advantage and is disciplined enough to avoid giving JYD easy buckets so they get the W, while Tenney + Mac do just a little more than Haas + Lagno and AY35 gets the win. 

February 12, 2020
9:25 am
Members
Forum Posts: 437

Thanks for the previews Harry.  I said in the preseason power rankings that Mambas had the biggest opportunity to move up in the rankings, and I think we are starting to see what they are capable of if they are firing on all cylinders.

My quick hits on tonight's games

Hair Club for Men vs. Junk Yard Dogs 

We lost a tough one last week, but I chalk it up as a learning game.  We shot very poorly and didn't make any adjustments on how we guarded Paul - who absolutely torched us.  I think we have another test this week, because we saw what happened against a good guard and this week we face off against 2-3 of them.  We will have to be more disciplined for on-ball screens.  Sisko will be making his season debut, so adding his size should really change our ability to rotate out Walker and not lose a size advantage.  We will have to stick to Lerner like glue and keep him off the boards.  If we take care of the ball and don't give JYD free points on turnovers I think we can take care of business.

Axis Powers vs. Basket Cases 

With Basket Cases only having 4 guys tonight it might swing things in AP's favor.  Dave is going to have to focus all his energy on limiting Hof, so if I was a betting man I would take the under on 2h points by Pendergast.  I think Koller and Ed can wash each other out on both ends of the floor, so I will be focused on the secondary match-ups here.  I think Drew has the potential to be a real baller, but I haven't seen Basket really utilize him as I would like them to.  He should be controlling the ball and running pick and rolls in my opinion.  Dave has been doing this, but I think Dave is better getting the the ball through off-ball screens and then attacking the basket.  I don't know how AP matches up on defense against BC - Hof on Drew, Ian or Dave? I think Djordjie is going to have a tough time chasing around either Drew or Ian.  BC needs to have off-ball movement in this one and spread the floor - if they do that I think they win.  If they focus on one-on-one ball they will lose this game.  I think Koller and Co. write-up a good gameplan and Dave keeps Hof under 30 and they pull this one out.

A Young 35 vs. the Grey Mambas

Two very different play styles clash this week - one team that like to play the half-court set with the Mamabs, and the other team who likes to run and gun, with AY35.  I was impressed with Lagno last week with his ability to make good decisions off the pick and roll and also finish many of his shots - something I didn't see the previous two weeks.  Is this what we can expect from him or is he going to be your typical trick or treat kind of player?  That's the question in this game.  This team gets the majority of their production between Paul and Bully, so the buck stops with how well Lagno plays. Between Macdonald and Carlo, I think this team will match up well with those two - so it'll come down to if Kerk puts on the cape and picks up some of the scoring load for Mambas.  I am not worried about point production from AY35 and I am from Mambas ability to limit them.  I see this turning into a fast-paced, high volume game and in that scenario it should favor AY35.  Mambas are on a nice trajectory, but I think they hit a bump in the road in this game.

Farewell/Revenge Tour vs the Fightin' Nimrods

The Nimrods are such a mixed bag week to week it's hard to predict what you'll get from them.  If they have a full squad this should be a good game for them to test out some lineups and figure things out a bit.  FRT are the league punching bag right now, but fight hard each week and are pretty fun to watch.  They have a few runs in them that make you think they could pull off a few wins, but will be underdogs every week.  They are actually getting good offensive production, but their defense is where they get hurt.  I don't like the Nimrods offense from what I have witnessed, so there is a real opportunity here for FRT to snag a win if they play better defense and Nimrods shoot poorly.  I'm rooting for Jet to get his revenge against Cavano for screwing him over in free agency so I am all in on the Revenge Tour to prevail!

February 12, 2020
11:47 am
Members

dpendergast said
Thanks for the early preview Harry, will get a chance to fully take a look later. For week 5 I can cover JYD vs Farewell tour.  

You're in!

He should be controlling the ball and running pick and rolls in my opinion. Dave has been doing this, but I think Dave is better getting the ball through off-ball screens and then attacking the basket.

But how will they find time to ISO post-up Koller in these situations? 

if Kerk puts on the cape and picks up some of the scoring load for Mambas.

Kerk always brings his cape.

Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

February 12, 2020
4:51 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 328

I love that making trades in Franchise now makes you a league villain. Hear that everyone, no more trades!

In all seriousness though, since I doubt most of this board has the misfortune of closely following franchise draft, I think that a lot of the frustration of being placed on me instead of Tibbs. Basically I made three last minute cash trades to put myself within a dollar of JET for Landon's service no matter what other pure cash trades JET made. Sent all the trade information to Tibbs within 5 minutes of the deadline (SOP deadline activity). Instead of announcing the trades at the 3pm deadline Tibbs goes completely silent, no responses to texts, emails, google docs, nothing. I think JET was able to flip Hof to cancel his trade with me but after the 3pm deadline. Then Tibbs comes strolling back in 24 hours later awarding Landon to my team. While all trades were legally made, Tibbs 24 hour silence and Hof flipping on his decision but after the deadline, made everything look super shady.

In conclusion blame Tibbs.

February 13, 2020
11:24 am
Members
Forum Posts: 863
  • Junkyard Dogs blow out Hair Club For Men, 90-65, without Lerner (16/25 from 3 as a team)
  • Basket Cases pulled away in the second half to beat Axis Powers, 77-62
  • Grey Mambas beat AY35, 81-73 (39 pts from Lagno)
  • Nimrods beat Farewell/Revenge Tour, 76-57

Stock up for the Grey Mambas, stock down for HCFM. Fun little side story is that in the chatter around draft time, Tenney was...less than enthusiastic about Lagno, after they played together in SDL. Then Lagno dropped a cool 39 on Tenney's squad last night to get the W.  

February 13, 2020
3:34 pm
Members

JYD takes a bite out of the Hair Club

Our first game of the evening featured two contending teams, though JYD was 1-2, they are expected to toward the top of the standings by week 9. HCFM was another highly ranked team, but were coming off a loss. HCFM would be missing Doyle in this one, but in bigger news, Lerner was out for JYD. TO THE ACTION!

I arrived at the gym just in time to see Gans brick a jumper, some things never change. The HCFM offense looked quite sloppy early on. They were tossing the rock all over the place, especially into the hands of JYD, who recorded 9 1h steals. I don't have this recorded, but I'm pretty sure most of those steals turned into buckets for JYD. Hair Club for Men looked awful on offense, going 1 for 8 from deep, with the aforementioned turnovers. Somehow, their defense was even worse than their offense.

Giving up a bunch of turnovers certainly doesn't help a defense, but outside of that, they were just plain terrible. JYD, just kept getting a bunch of open looks. Chad went 3/4 from deep, Coburn went 2/3, Tits and Calderan each had a 3. Overall, they were 7/14 from 3-point distance in the first half. They also got a bunch of buckets inside the paint off penetration. They were having their way with HCFM, even without Lerner. They went into the half up 44-29.

If you were looking for second half drama, you should have turned to TNT and watched the Nuggets/Lakers game, because there wasn't any to be found here. HCFM responded to their first half defensive effort, with an equally bad showing in the second half. Everyone on JYD, except for Calderan, had 2 treys apiece in the second half. Everyone, but Marcus had 2 assists a piece in the second half. Not to much to say, except they stuck it up their ass for 20 minutes.

Cawley and Gans would get a lot of fluff points in the second half, to make their stats look half way decent in this one. The offense continued to look like crap any time someone attempted to throw a pass. Lucky for Gans, I don't keep track of turnovers this season. 

Anyways, the game went into full pick-up mode. Tits had the gall to ask about the foul count, questioning why HCFM didn't have as many fouls. Well, the answer to that is simple, you have to play defense to commit fouls. 90-65 Final JYD

Grades:

Hair Club for Men: D-

I'm grading these guys as a team, because they all sucked. I don't care about Cawley's meaningless 20 2h points when the game was long over. The defense was terrible and they showed no signs of changing anything. They were all careless with the ball and kept letting JYD drive with their strong hands all game. Ugly shit, even with the boost they got from Lerner being out. They better shape up and get some leadership.

JYD: A+

Everyone gets an A+ for blowing out a suppose to be top ranked team, without their best player. These guys are hot right now, hopefully for their sake they haven't blown their load early.

February 13, 2020
3:59 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 72

bkoller297 said 

Stock up for the Grey Mambas, stock down for HCFM. Fun little side story is that in the chatter around draft time, Tenney was...less than enthusiastic about Lagno, after they played together in SDL. Then Lagno dropped a cool 39 on Tenney's squad last night to get the W.    

I can assure you that next time we play I will be guarding Lagno and he won't be scoring half that amount. We were a little disjointed on D and I should have switched on him in the 2nd and forced the bigs to beat us. Oh well. Regular season is about prepping and adjustments for the real games.

Recap for Nimrods and Revenge tour will be up tomorrow morning.

February 13, 2020
4:53 pm
Members
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul Dominates AY35 with 39 point effort

The two hottest teams in the league faced off in our third game of the evening. The red hot Grey Mamba took on AY35. Everyone was in attendance for both teams. TO THE ACTION!

Casey came out firing in this game, scoring his team's first seven points. It looked like he was out to prove a point against his former SDL teammate, though the tables would soon turn. His new running mate, MacDonald was off and running as well, hitting a bunch of floaters inside the paint and some outside the paint. MacDonald also picked up 5 assist, including a nice one to Chas, that's on twitter. This allowed AY35 to pick up a lead throughout the first half.

On the other side of the floor, rookie Paul was giving AY35 the business. Casey and Chas rotated covering him, neither doing a good job. Paul had 4 first half treys, to go along with 3 FGs inside the three point line, for 18 1h points. His shooting judgement as gotten a lot better, since the first two weeks and it shows with the increased production. Kerk and Bully combined for 10 points, but the story for this team was Erik's first career CAC bucket that I missed, because someone was distracting me. Let's call that person AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIR!

Anyways, AY35 held a decent lead throughout and seemed to be controlling the pace of the game, even with Paul running wild. They went into the fast paced up 41-35. Before we get into the second half, I have to talk about the serious incident that happened in the first half. There was a case of assault from one the players in this game. I have never seen such a heinous attack in all my years of scoring. Chas Bells, came out of the game for a sub and assaulted the children's chalkboard behind him. That's right, just assaulted. Who knows what kind of damage this will do to all the kids at MLK Elementary school. WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!??!

The second half continue the Paul Lagno show, with AY35 showing no signs of making any adjustments. He hit 3 more from deep, with a total 21 2h points. However, the Mambas were still down until we had a little Bully run. The old man was all over the board, ripping down second chance opportunities and converting the put-backs. This was the part of the game where the Mambas took the lead and seized control of this contest. MacDonald, had done a good job of limiting Bully jumpers to that point, so the Bully went inside to get things going. Frank would also chip in with 9 2h points, including a huge 3.

AY35 just couldn't answer the passion the Mambas were showing out there. MacDonald had some nice takes to the rack, but wasn't converting as much this half. Chas finally hit a 3, after missing his first six. However, Casey only had 6 2h points. You have to credit the Mambas defense for rallying with a much bigger second half effort. 

The Mambas got the lead into the 6-8 range and just held serve. Very disappointing second half for AY35 and their chalkboard assaulting members. 81-73 Grey Mambas.

Grades

Casey C: Not a good look when the guy he called out in the rookie draft vastly outplays him. He did have a sweet back board block on someone.

MacDonald B+: Played well on both ends in the first half, but slowed down in the second half and let Bully get the best of him late.

Chas D: I won't stand for assaulting the children's chalkboard or going 1 for 8 from 3.

Jeffrey C-: Did he even play in this game?

Carlo C: I need some rebounds from my guy here.

Sam C+: Had two nice buckets and one BIG BOARD.

Mambas

Bully B+: Slow first half, but picked it up late to help his team get the win.

Paul A+: Shined as the best player on the floor.

Kerk B: Solid Kerk game, though I expected a little more.

Frank A-: 12 big points will do just fine.

Jason C+: Two dimes is good, but I want more aggression in trying to score.

Erik B-: Good first half, but slipped in the 2nd half.

February 13, 2020
5:26 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 1135
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

My grade should have been a T for trash 

GMOY and B draft CHAMPION, Shooter McGavins

February 14, 2020
11:50 am
Members
Forum Posts: 72

Nimrods take care of business in a game that rightfully deserved the 8:45 slot.

We had the nimrods, who as expected have been a bit hit or miss. Same squad as every season, same expectations, always different in new and not so interesting ways.

On the other end was revenge tour - with a real solid group of guys who like playing with each other but unfortunately got absolutely hosed in free agency and the results have supported this. I guess we should see how this game turned out, but you probably already know.

The game started out with Jet drawing a few fouls off the bat with some nice aggressive drives. The free throw's were hit or miss though, and he wasn't getting much if any support from his team. Lots of missed layups and shots. The nimrods were also missing a fair amount of shots, but laporte and talbot were hitting a few slick jumpers. Laporte in particular had a fair share of first half rebounds. That said, there were so many misses for both teams. Things seemed to turn for the Nimrods when Vinny launched a 3 from outer space and it actually found twine. Thank god.

Anyone hoping for a competitive basketball game would be left wanting, but things improved a bit, mostly for the nimrods. They were getting far better chances then revenge tour, but having a hard time capitalizing. On the other end, poor Jet was doing all he could on defense with some nice steals and passes. Problem was, they weren't making the most of these chances, and this team will need to improve across the board there if they have any chance of making noise in a few weeks.

I would like to point out I saw Amir straight up perform a textbook box out. It was fucking beautiful. That's a Tommy point for you young fella. Just kidding regarding the youth portion. I assume Amir is anywhere between 40-60 years old. 

Revenge tour apparently though the Vinnie 3 was a fluke, as they neglected to really play him on defense at all. He responded with another few 3's to really seal this game up. That, along with Jet subbing out and the team having no ball handler was not good news. With 4 minutes left in the half Revenge tour had 11 points. Yes. 11. On the other end, Harry was doing his thing with some solid pick and rolls for talbot while Laporte had a low key borderline double double. I see you, Landon I'm from London Laporte. Half ended 36-18.

Wonder and mystery abound for the 2nd. Hahahahahhahah nah. Not at all. 2nd half was very meh. Harry apparently decided the time to hustle is when you are up 30 and not in close games, so he was playing defense and running the court. Shit was wild. There was actually a posession where talbot stole the ball and found harry for a beautiful outlet pass. It would have been more satisfying if it weren't for the fact Harry was open because he didn't run the court and had loitered under the opposing basket after a miss. Pizza then single handedly turned the tide of the game by blocking a Harry shot into the multiverse (that's a Marvel reference you uncultured swine). Ok maybe not, but the crowd certainly appreciated it.

I will point out I goaded Jet into shooting a shot from half court to predictable results. That said, I owe him if that same shot is requested. This write-up is already far too long for such a boring game, but I do have to mention the nimrods legit drew a play off a timeout with a whiteboard and actually executed it. Necessary? NOPE. Cool? Meh. Kinda. It worked. Everyone stopped trying the last 5 minutes and once people actually stopped playing defense to avoid getting hurt, we called it at 76-56.

Long term outlook - um, the nimrods are ok as they always are and won a game they should have. Revenge tour is looking like an easy last seed first round loss. Prove me wrong. Or don't. It is what it is.

February 14, 2020
3:24 pm
Members
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good write-up in your debut. Can’t wait to see how you write a competitive game

February 14, 2020
5:14 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 92
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

Watch your mouth.

February 16, 2020
3:20 pm
Members
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Axis Powers lose battle of bigs

I thought this would be a fun game between two good teams, as Hof's Axis Powers, took on his old team, the Basket Cases. McNabb, would be out for his team, while the Basket Cases would continue on short handed without Buckley and their mysterious rookie. TO THE ACTION!

It was a back and forth affair in the first half, with both teams taking turns converting inside. Pendergast, was doing a great job of limiting Hof from deep, as Hof would only connect once from 3-point land. He would go 1 for 9 from 3 in the first half, not great. Offensively, Pendergast would score 12 of his own points to lead his team in 1h scoring. He did a great job of taking advantage of Hof's defense, if that's what you call it. 

Koller and Ed was the other featured match-up, with Ed continuing his hot shooting. He had 14 1h points. Koller would have 8 1h points, to go along with 7 boards and two blocks. Drew chipped in with 11 first half points as well. My read on this game in the first half was that BC seemed to be getting the shots they wanted and Hof was struggling to get the ones he usually gets. Of course, it was tied at the half though, so the game could have turned any way. 34-34 at the half. 

My read appeared to be spot on as the second half began. The Basket Cases kept getting the shots they wanted, scoring at a high rate, even though they didn't connect on a three pointer in the 2h. Rookie Drew was picking on poor Sean Haddock in the second half, with post-up after post-up. His teammates weren't doing much to help him though. The Axis Powers defense was plain awful, they obviously decided to let BC shoot whenever they wanted, but the shots get a little easier when there's no resistance down low or inside the paint. 

Hof, continued to struggle from deep and all over the floor. He must have thought he was playing in a playoff game for me again, he was that bad. Hof, only hit one second half 3, finishing the game 2 for 15. I mentioned in the preview for this game that Hof had decisively won the previous battles with Pendergast, but he took a hard L in this match-up. Pendergast, did an outstanding job of corralling Hof throughout this contest. 

Without Hof to carry the load, the Axis Powers offense took a dive. Ed did a fair job of trying to keep up the scoring, but no one else was providing enough help for him or Hof. This was a big dud for the Axis Powers both ends of the floor. BC pulled away 77-62 Final

Grades

Hof D-: This was one awful Hof. Bad shooting, lots of shots to get to 23 points, paired with the usual Hof defense. 

Afum C: He did a good job moving the ball, but he has to score some points, in some capacity. I'm not even sure he took a shot.

Ed B: I like Ed's scoring, but his defense was needed in this one and I didn't see much of it.

Djordje C-: His usual effort, but like Ed they needed his defensive presence down low. I didn't see much of it and he missed some easy lay-ups. He has to start converting those.

Sean C-: Drew is a tough match-up for Sean, but still, he has to provide more resistance down low.

BC

Koller B+: Hit all the shots his team needed, but he was guarding Ed, who got his own. 

Pendergast A+: Won his match-up with Hof, A+ effort.

Ian B+: Very good passing and rebounding in this one, be nice to see him hit a few more jumpers though.

Drew A-: His run in the 2h allowed his team to breakaway. He'll need to start connecting on 3s though.

February 17, 2020
5:03 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 250

HTD1223 said
Axis Powers lose battle of bigs

Hof, continued to struggle from deep and all over the floor. He must have thought he was playing in a playoff game for me again, he was that bad. Hof, only hit one second half 3, finishing the game 2 for 15. I mentioned in the preview for this game that Hof had decisively won the previous battles with Pendergast, but he took a hard L in this match-up. Pendergast, did an outstanding job of corralling Hof throughout this contest. 

Grades

Hof D-: This was one awful Hof. Bad shooting, lots of shots to get to 23 points, paired with the usual Hof defense. 

I deserved an F.
There really isn't any other way to spin it.
Horrid play all around by me, at the hand of Dave playing great defense and continuing to not let me get to any of my spots on the floor.

Dave cooked me on both sides of the ball, needed to step up and pick him up before he got a full speed running start at a person who believes in defense as much as they believe in the moon landing.  

Stat Hore

*2x THE Franchise League Champion*
              S'18 | F'18

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4405

HTD1223: 2487