A 5v5 League Preview (by Weitzer) - Thursdays @ ACEC | CAC League Discussion | Discussion
April 27, 2012
Nate Weitzer – It’s been a long time, and we shouldn’t have left you without the premier A League in the Boston area, but gyms are hard to come by with COVID still running around the region.
We’re back with a full slate of 8 teams at the Armenian Culture and Education Center (ACEC) in Watertown. It’s a proud gathering place for the Armenian community. Check out the Armenian Cultural Museum in Watertown center if you’ve got some time to kill. Warm up at the Watertown courts across the street from Gordon’s Liquors, they’ve got pretty good deals. That is the extent of my recommendations for Watertown.
About basketball – let’s take a look at the rosters of these 8 contenders and throw out some preseason power rankings:
- Shooters Shoot – We’ve got a team of CAC rookies here aside from David Mayo (who played one season in B2) and Cory Stratford. Rookies tend to take a little time to adjust to the level of play in the A League, unless of course they’re also stocked with former DI players who are back home after playing overseas.
- Team Takeover – Another team full of relative unknowns, we’ll see if TeamTakeover can get enough scoring to keep pace in this league. Michel (Michael?) Toney looks like he was averaging a solid 14.6 PPG in the A league this summer, so that’s a solid start. They open with the Zards and can hope that Mike Mayer is out of town.
- Zards – Mike Mayer is always an MVP candidate in this league and the addition of former Concord and Amherst star Eric Sellew gives the Zards a solid DIII All-Star feel. Kearney added a couple of other guys to round out the roster with some of their mainstays probably gone to greener pastures. Where’s Baker? He’ll probably show up midway through a few games and give them 7 minutes of unmitigated effort.
- Cobras – Warfa is the only dude on this roster I’m familiar with, and I think I covered him for a game when he was at Charlestown. Did he recruit some of the greats from the early 2000s that made Charlestown one of the best teams in history? Are those guys still ambulatory? Idk, but we can assume he’s got some ballers on this roster.
- OG – Preston Raymond is the No. 1 teammate in A League history and he assuredly put together a squad with good chemistry and plenty of talent. Cody Otto is a bucket, he apparently averaged 26.7 PPG the last time he suited up in the A League.
- Beantown Cup – Cooper Ainge and the former Babson College team rolled to an A League title last season, but there is a lot of turnover with this roster heading into Fall 2021. Since he’s Cooper Ainge, though, we can assume there will be some big time players on the team who have some affiliation with the Celtics practice squad or played college ball somewhere near Wellesley. The roster that is pictured on the website may not include some difference makers.
- Avengers – Robel returns as captain and the Avengers at least have Anthony Gurley, with Radio potentially playing part time. They also picked up Ryan Romich, who has been filling it up for the Matt Mathias franchise (blanking on the name) for a few years. Robel’s brother, Aser, is also on the squad along with two dudes named Arnar. What’re the odds.
- Spida Men – Proclaimed as “Over The Hill” by Tibbs, the Spida Men will assuredly use that as bulletin board material in their elusive quest for an A League title. Apparently Ryo is back from playing overseas to captain this squad and they have excellent roll guys in Gallivan and Cedric, so why not rank them No. 1? #TibbsLies
April 27, 2012
Most Users Ever Online: 110
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 63
Newest Members:Bobbiescups, TurnBilO, hejoidvab, Cantoni, Nick K, kunalc8, rg617, RobertWoons, PatrickFlums, MichaelClist, Charlescleby, Glenndeaks, LPower, DTorisawa, RobertSah