#B5v5 Draft Winter 2022 Season Preview | CAC League Discussion | Discussion

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
#B5v5 Draft Winter 2022 Season Preview
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
January 14, 2022
12:19 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 19
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

#B5v5 Draft Winter 2022 Season Preview

Way too early W5v5 Draft Power Rankings

King Harry and Ian Cundall have moved onto greener pastures so Joel and I have been handed the keys to the kingdom. Let the party begin.

Public Service Announcement

All games are on Tuesday nights at the Cambridge Community Center (5 Callender St, Cambridge, MA 02139). For those that haven’t been there before, we primarily park on Massachusetts Avenue and walk to the gym. 

Please note, that masks are required at all times this season. See Tibbs with any concerns, questions, or objections. I’m just the help! 

With that said, the Unification game is in the books, You Got Tibbs’D are the defending champions, and the new season has now officially begun. That means it’s time to get the winter leagues started! 

Let’s get started with my way too early, reckless, irresponsible, ill-advised power rankings.

Team grading criteria:

Star Power
CAC Experience
CAC Historical Stats
Team Positional Balance
Likability

1 # Captain: Jeff Motha | Team Name: Motha Fockers

What went well? 

Clearly, I’m a little biased here but you’ll have ample opportunity to prove me wrong throughout the season. Motha proved himself to be a shrewd negotiator while making CAC draft history becoming the first caprin to be involved in every trade of the night. He parlayed his assortment of picks into Robel (7), Dwyer (12), Ball (21), Rossetti (30), Palomeque(35), Balogun (37), and Lindsay (50). 

While we can debate whether or not I was a reach at 21, there’s absolutely no debating Robel at 7, Dwyer at 12, Rossetti at 30, Palomeque at 35, Balogun at 37, and Lindsay at 50. I like the potential of the Dwyer (6’5),  Robel (6’9), and Motha (6’3) pairing. I also like the supporting casts of experienced guards. 

Questions?

Our team’s success will be dependent on how well our rookies play. I have a feeling we’re going to be pretty good though. I’m still disappointed we missed out on Garrett Tousey, but there’s always next season.

Picks: Robel (7), Dwyer (12), Ball (21), Rossetti (30), Palomeque(35), Balogun (37), and Lindsay (50). 

Draft Grade: A+

2 # Captain: King Harry Debmakes | Team Name: TBA 

What went well? 

Harry’s team led by Tenney is absolutely stacked with consistent shooters and experienced players. This squad checks all the boxes offensively and defensively. Harry elected to go with known CAC commodities in Clasby, Corrigan, King, Donnelly, Beato, and S. Glynn, which is a pretty savvy approach from my point of view. 

Questions?

Do they have enough size to be competitive with the bigger teams? Their lack of size is a concern, but this roster is the epitome of positionless basketball so this isn’t a major concern for me. Best of luck fellas!

Picks: Tenney (4), Clasby (13), Corrigan (20), King (29), Donnelly (36), Beato (45), S. Glynn (52)

Draft Grade: A

3 # Captain: Mike Fraher | Team Name: TBA 

What went well?

Offensively, I’m really intrigued by the Yeakley/Weinstein pairing. I think Steeves and Bartels were absolute steals at picks  24 and 25. This team has a solid combination of size and skill which supports their ranking. 

Questions?

After a heated debate with Robel and no support from Motha, I agreed to rank this team 3rd in the Power Rankings. I love the combination of Fraher, Yeakley, Weinstein, Steeves, and Bartels, but the bench leaves a lot to be desired. Nevertheless, I have been wrong before but only once and my wife will never let me live that down.

Picks: Yeakley (8), Weinstein (9), Steeves (24), Bartels (25), Ott (40), Jennings (41), and Trippe (56)

Draft Grade: B+

4 # Captain: Pranam Chatterjee | Team Name: TBA 

What went well? 

Pranam made every effort to trade for the # 1 pick, but Muccio was all in on Fay. After the disappointment subsided, Pranam selected Luther Joseney with the 3rd overall picked. While unexpected, Luther is a very dynamic scorer who is fully capable of pacing a squad offensively. Pranam went on to pick Guzzi at 14, Tousey at 19, and Liao at 34. This team has the potential to be really good on both ends of the court.

Questions?

Does this team have enough size to compete with the bigger teams in the league? Their tallest players are Guzzi at 6’3, Kabzan at 6’2, and Tousey at 6’1. I’m sorry fellas, but size does not matter. Nevertheless, the one thing team will not lack is toughness! My man Garrett Tousey is as tough as they come!

Picks: Joseney (3), Guzzi (14), Tousey (19), Kabzan (31), Liao (34), R. Glynn (46), and  Ng (51)

Draft Grade: B-

5 # Captain: Ian Cundall | Team Name: Almost Famous 

What went well? 

Ian surprised us all by drafting Shaffer at # 6. I heard rumblings of a potential Robel pairing, but my sources are obviously unreliable like my biased commentary. Nevertheless, Ian drafted like the savvy vet he is, taking the best available player with his next 6 picks.

Questions?

Ian, Shaffer, Mals, and Stahl are known commodities. The overall success of this team will be dependent on the production they get from their rookies. More specifically, Capra (22) and Masone (27). With Ian and Joel leading the way, I’m certain this team will be competitive with any squad in this league.

Picks: Shaffer (6), Stahl (11), Capra (22), Masone (27), Mals (38), Packard (43), and Pan (54)

Draft Grade: B+

6 # Captain: Jack Niemann | Team Name: You Got Tibbs’D (Again)

What went well?

The man, the myth, the legend AJ goes # 2 overall in the draft. Was there ever any doubt? Followed by Cavano (15), Knight (18), and Elliot (23). Cavano was a no-brainer at # 15, but what I’m most excited about are the rookies’ Knight (18), and Elliot (23). 

Questions?

There aren’t many question marks on this squad. Ultimately, the success of this team will come down to how good can the rookies Knight (18), Elliot (23), Lemtiri-Chlieh (47), and Morla (53) be? In my unreliable opinion, Niemann’s squad will be a Top 2 team after week 1. Yes, I said what I said. Prove me wrong dammit!

Picks: GOTTHELF (2), Cavano (15), Knight (18),  Elliot (23), Balcerzak (44), Lemtiri-Chlieh (47), and Morla (53)

Draft Grade:  A+

7 # Captain: Xavier Abreu | Team Name: TBA 

What went well? 

Xavier came into this draft with a plan and there was no deviation. Trading up to the 5th pick to secure the draft rights to Jonathan Abreu and following up that pick with the defensive enforcer Ini Udofia.

Questions? 

Will the Udofia and Olugbade pairing work? Defensively this squad has a ton of potential, but I do not know how they will generate offense consistently against the better teams in this league. J. Abreu and Manny Reynoso are very capable scorers, but will that be enough? I’ll tell you one thing, don’t leave Reynoso open from deep because he is deadly! 

Picks: J. Abreu (5), Udofia (10), Olugbade (26), Reynoso (28), 39 Morris (39), Mukalel (42), and Chappell (55)

Draft Grade: C+

8 # Captain: John Muccio | Team Name: TBA 

What went well? 

Muccio had the number # 1 pick in the draft and wasted no time drafting the best player in the league Jack Fay. Martins was a solid pickup at 16, followed by the massive 6’3 240 lb rookie Evan Valcourt. These two have the potential to be dynamic in the post if utilized properly.

Questions? 

Does this team have enough firepower to compete with the top-tier teams in this league? Aside from Fay, There are no proven scorers on this team. Can Mr. Jones live up to his rookie bio “Think Chris Paul”? A lot of questions, but until proven otherwise the Muccio/Fay-led squad will remain at the bottom of my too early power rankings.

Picks: Fay (1), Martins(16), Valcourt (17), Andrews (32), Norville (33) Gillooly (48) and Jones (48)

Draft Grade: C

Pre-Season Awards Watch List

top candidates for the W2022 W5v5 Draft Awards

2022 Winter 5v5 Draft: Rookie of the Year (ROY) candidates:

1. Nate Guzzi
  2. Killian Barels
  3. Nico Knight
  4. Hollister Elliot
  5. Nick Rossetti

2022 Winter 5v5 Draft: Most Outstanding Role Player candidates:

1. Harry Demakes
  2. Chris Ott
  3. James Lindsay

2022 Winter 5v5 Draft: Defensive player of the Year (DPOY) candidates:

1. Robel Ghebremichael
  2. Ini Udofia
  3. Garrett Tousey

2022 Winter 5v5 Draft: GM of the Year (GMOY) candidates:

1. Jeff Motha
  2. King Harry Demakes
  3. Pranam Chatterjee

2022 Winter 5v5 Draft: Most Valuable Player (MVP) candidates:

1. Jack Fay 
  2. AJ Gotthelf
  3. Nate Guzzi
  4. Joe Dwyer

2022 Winter 5v5 Draft: First Team all 5v5 West candidates:

1. Jack Fay (Reigning MVP) 
  2. AJ Gotthelf
  3. Nate Guzzi
  4. Nico Knight
  5. Joe Dwyer

Honorable mentions: Robel Ghebremichael, Calvin Stahl, Casey Tenney, Luther Joseney, and Jonathan Abreu

January 14, 2022
3:09 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 2692

Great start Jay money. It’s hard to come up with rankings and draft grades when you have 18 new guys no one has seen before.

2 # Captain: King Harry Debmakes | Team Name: TBA 

What went well? 

Harry’s team led by Tenney is absolutely stacked with consistent shooters and experienced players. This squad checks all the boxes offensively and defensively. Harry elected to go with known CAC commodities in Clasby, Corrigan, King, Donnelly, Beato, and S. Glynn, which is a pretty savvy approach from my point of view. 

Questions?

Do they have enough size to be competitive with the bigger teams? Their lack of size is a concern, but this roster is the epitome of positionless basketball so this isn’t a major concern for me. Best of luck fellas!

Picks: Tenney (4), Clasby (13), Corrigan (20), King (29), Donnelly (36), Beato (45), S. Glynn (52)

Draft Grade: A

At one point I just said fuck it, give me all the guys I like as players. Size is obviously the issue here, I’m happy Eusden isn’t in this league anymore, but I’m confident I can handle the other team’s primary bigs in the post. It’ll be up to the athletic guys to grab the rebounds. I’m interesting in seeing Beato, whose stats looked pretty good in his last season and you could do a lot worse than Scott Glynn in the last round.

3 # Captain: Mike Fraher | Team Name: TBA 

What went well?

Offensively, I’m really intrigued by the Yeakley/Weinstein pairing. I think Steeves and Bartels were absolute steals at picks  24 and 25. This team has a solid combination of size and skill which supports their ranking. 

Questions?

After a heated debate with Robel and no support from Motha, I agreed to rank this team 3rd in the Power Rankings. I love the combination of Fraher, Yeakley, Weinstein, Steeves, and Bartels, but the bench leaves a lot to be desired. Nevertheless, I have been wrong before but only once and my wife will never let me live that down.

Picks: Yeakley (8), Weinstein (9), Steeves (24), Bartels (25), Ott (40), Jennings (41), and Trippe (56)

Draft Grade: B+

This team should be good in theory, but I have a lot of questions who’s going to do the passing on this team. Weinstein and Ghost are at their best when there’s a lot of ball movement, but I don’t see that in this team. 

5 # Captain: Ian Cundall | Team Name: Almost Famous 

What went well? 

Ian surprised us all by drafting Shaffer at # 6. I heard rumblings of a potential Robel pairing, but my sources are obviously unreliable like my biased commentary. Nevertheless, Ian drafted like the savvy vet he is, taking the best available player with his next 6 picks.

Questions?

Ian, Shaffer, Mals, and Stahl are known commodities. The overall success of this team will be dependent on the production they get from their rookies. More specifically, Capra (22) and Masone (27). With Ian and Joel leading the way, I’m certain this team will be competitive with any squad in this league.

Picks: Shaffer (6), Stahl (11), Capra (22), Masone (27), Mals (38), Packard (43), and Pan (54)

Draft Grade: B+

I have similar questions here. Capra’s Bio read like “Shoot first, shoot later, shoot some more.” So who is going to get the ball is moving on this team. Joel, tends to get lost on teams where the ball isn’t moving. Masone, better be someone who likes to pass. 

5v5 Draft West S21 Champs and Unofficial Uni Champs "Get Rich, Die Trying".....Old League Champs S19 "Nice for what?"...…..BDraft F16 3Peat Champs "Evolution".....BDraft S16 Repeat Champs "Visionaries".....BDraft W16 UNI Champs "Foreign Fanatics" (BDraft W16 East Undefeated Champions "Sorry for Jabari")......Kap 2v2 Invitational Champion.......

January 14, 2022
8:32 pm
Somerville
Admin
Forum Posts: 3265
Tuesday January 18th
Time Home   Away Loc
6:00 PM MOOCH   vs. Almost Famous   CCC
7:00 PM You Got Tibbs’D   vs. Motha Fuckers   CCC
8:00 PM DEMAKES   vs. PRANAM   CCC
9:00 PM FRAHER   vs. XAVIER   CCC

Woohooo! updated signatures and avatars! Finally - edit your profile people - http://www.cacbasketball.com/d.....on/profile 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 110

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

#KapVP: 4435

HTD1223: 2692

docspauld: 2388

damruff: 2203

Mazz63: 1955